iOS 10?

27 replies [Last post]
Devvy

Did anyone try Nanostudio on iOS 10 yet?

Devvy

Just installed it myself on iPad Air2; looks fine so far. But only did limited testing.

antrabbit

Glad to hear couldn't live without NS

Stiksi

Actually I'm very impressed / relieved how relatively bugfree iOS 10 has been so far. And they have made scrolling super smooth again, which gives an impression of much improved stability. That's pretty important too.

The new iTunes on the other hand…

Blip Interactive

> The new iTunes on the other hand…

Oh dear have they been fiddling with it again? iTunes makes me feel old - whenever I use it I have a vague feeling of confusion, like someone just changed it all behind my back when I turned around for a moment.

My latest confuzzlement is how when if I buy music via the phone, it's not actually put on my phone unless I tap on an extra tiny 'cloud' button to actually download it. It's a bit odd.

syrupcore

confuzzlement.

Stiksi

I have a vague feeling of confusion, like someone just changed it all behind my back when I turned around for a moment.

No, that's exactly the correct feeling. For example, playlists keep losing tracks or leaking tracks to other playlists and iTunes is still deleting tracks all by itself. I just went through my playlists a couple days back. A few of them had hundreds of tracks a couple months ago. But now? Fewer than twenty. I'm guessing that iTunes removes the tracks it can't find when it initializes the playlist. So if iCloud is having a bad day, or you know, any day that ends in Y, you end up losing a portion of the tracks.

The UI of iTunes is a train wreck. They keep rearranging the same crap elements back and forth in what I can only guess is hope that a miracle happens and they find the Philosopher's Stone of crap UI. I say burn it down and salt the earth. Of course, never going to happen, because the margins on a free app suck.

Sorry, flu makes me ranty. Now I'll go home and play with my new analogue tape saturation plugin. Most fun I've had in ages!

Also, what Syrupcore said. That is an incredible band name!

Blip Interactive

> They keep rearranging the same crap elements back and forth in what I can only guess is hope that a miracle happens

Hey what do you mean? That's my usual approach to UI design!

tom_tm

So Matt, how about a gig near your gaff to celebrate the arrival of NS2? I've got a portable PA... We just need a pub.

tom_tm

Oh yes and while we're at it, how does the internal email system work here? Or is it kaput??

Slam-Cut

Is iTunes any better on a Mac? I just assumed that the issues I have with iTunes on my PC were just Apple's way of poking me in the ribs incessently beacause I don't have one of their laptops. I hate having to point iTunes to the same old folder locations, over and over again, so it can find the songs in my library/playlists. Is this not the 21st C? Haven't we sorted out this level of technology yet?

I am confuzzled.

Stiksi

@ Blip: Huh, just realized that's also my approach to bookkeeping.

@ Slam-Cut: I hear iTunes is worse on Microsoft, but Apple is a pretty equal opportunity rib poker. iTunes is much like Photoshop: decades of added features hammered into an old framework and patched with duct tape and bubblegum. Get rid of one bug, introduce a dozen others.

syrupcore

Then they built an entire ecosystem on top of the duct taped/bubble gummed shit heap that accounts for $6+ billion a year in revenue. They'll redo the whole thing about the time the jump the shark and release a car.

Stiksi

Hmm, an autonomous shark connected to iCloud… my god, it's been their plan all along!

Slam-Cut

The iCar will be shark-shaped but will require a sync with iTunes and therefore consistenly loose the file paths to your music so that you can't play the theme to 'Jaws' while driving down the street.

antrabbit

Sounds like optimised storage to me, which you can now turn off.

This from imore.com

--------

First introduced as part of iCloud Photo Library, Optimized Storage lets you keep a portion of your library on your device (depending on your free storage space) and automatically dumps older items to make room for newer options as time goes on. In iOS 9, the Music app had a behind-the-scenes version of Optimised Storage, but it tended to drive users crazy — they'd get on a plane, thinking they could listen to a favorite album, only to find it mysteriously missing from their device.

With iOS 10, Apple puts the choice in the user's hands: You can either use Optimized Storage and let the company automatically manage your mobile music collection, or you can choose to disable it and store any downloaded music locally until you say otherwise.

Stiksi

Optimising storage doesn't affect your iCloud music library, it only affects what is downloaded locally. And FWIW I use Mavericks on the mac, that isn't capable of optimized storage.

Blip Interactive

@antrabbit - Aw you've teased me with the promise of your "make everything work again" button but I can't find that option.

Following this guide:

http://www.imore.com/how-use-optimized-storage-music-ios-10-your-iphone-...

.. on an iPhone 5 running iOS 10.0.2, I get as far as Settings/Music but don't have the "Optimize Storage" or "Automatic Downloads" settings in the list.

I think I must need to press two buttons. A "make it work a bit again" button, which then exposes the "make everything work again" button.

Stiksi

I have them, but as with everything Apple lets me turn off, both are turned off.

I would love a "make everything work again" button, but if those are the only parametres, I am not altogether convinced it would not lead to the instant end of humanity.

syrupcore

You're welcome.

Stiksi

Thanks! Now we just need a make make everything work again button work button.

syrupcore

You got it. Anything for you.

Stiksi

(That needs debugging) but let's just say I'm happy now :)

Slam-Cut

Is that button for iOS 10 only? I still have 9 and no matter how many times I press either button, it doesn't help.

Blip Interactive

You don't have enough faith. I mean, if you're going to be all negative about it then it's not going to work for you.

Fortunately faith will be available as an in-app purchase. Only £4.99.

No refunds.

Stiksi

I believe I would buy that.

But now I don't need it anymore. :(

Slam-Cut

Faith always comes down to money, doesn't it?

Slam-Cut

So the gist of this thread is that there are no major problems using NS on iOS 10, right?
Are there rumors of any other music apps having issues with iOS 10?