16 Instrument Upgrade.

9 replies [Last post]
Jailler

Bought Nanostudio (Twice). Once for my iPad which runs ok and the other time for my iPhone. iPhone is the problem, for some reason i am unable to use more than 5 instruments (even though i have projects on iPhone that have more) and notifies me of upgrading, which after all this time peeing about i thought, just pay the 3.99 again and get it over with, but when i try and purchase, it tells me "Unable to purchase. This item is for an app that was purchased by a different Apple ID. To buy this item with this Apple ID, you must first purchase the app." My apple id hasn't changed, crazy. so i go to the app store, search for Nano and it only lets me open it not download. I guess i need to wipe off the old app but i am worried of losing all my files. If i wipe off the app, will i lose files?
ta
T

Slam-Cut

You will loose the old files!

You must do this for every project you have created:

1) All 15 tracks need to have the presets saved to the project file (Pxx)

2) TRG kits should have all the samples imported to the project file (option was given when loading TRG kits). If you didn't import all samples to the project file when originally selecting a TRG kit, then you should (to be safe) figure out which kit it is and reload all samples. Alternatively you can rely on reloading the TRG kits later so long as you didn't change things in the kit too much for another project.

3) When all of that is done you must save every project in two ways. Most importantly save the project as a .nsp file. This will save all the presets and samples so that when reloaded the project sounds as it should. Save the project as a .wav mixdown. This is a reference to what the project should sound like when last saved. The project doesn't have to be entirely "finished" to do a mixdown, but if any of the project sounds are "off" then you can more easily sort out the problem and continue working.

4) Use the PC/Mac program Nanosync (available on the Blip Interactive website) to copy the files to your computer. And hopefully to an external hard drive or two for security.

5) Back up your iPhone/iPad to your computer so that you can re-install everything from that saved state if necessary (like when getting a new iPhone).

You may know some of this, but I wrote all of this for those readers who need to learn this info.
Hope this helps prevent you from serious heartache of loosing your work. Let us know how it goes. Anybody got any tips to add to this?

Blip Interactive

I get the odd email from users about the 'different Apple ID' message - and these users generally have only ever had one account. Unfortunately I can never really help as developers don't have access to user accounts. It might be worth contacting Apple via the 'report a problem' link to see if they can resolve it with you having to delete the app.

Bulk copying all the app's folder via NanoSync will get everything apart from your synth presets. I made an early decision not to expose these via NanoSync as they're a non-editable binary format, but it was a mistake as it'd useful in situations like this.

If you export all your projects as .nsp's (and copy/restore those nsp's via NanoSync) then you can at least be certain that all your projects will be safe, even if you're unable to back up the synth presets.

Slam-Cut

I think Blip is referring to the lack of ability to copy/save presets in banks A-G via Nanosync. There is no way to save those if you've changed any of them or created new ones, unless you first save them to a project. One can creat a blank project and save presets to the P(00-63) bank and then save that project as a .nsp file. Use Nanosync to reload the project back onto an iDevice and your back in business.

I truly hate to disagree with Mr Blip, and he and the rest of you can feel free to roast me for it, but...

"Bulk copying folders via Nanosync" I do not reccommend this at all. I have had problems doing this in the past. It may have been a problem with my network, Windows 7, 8 or 10, my laptop, or even iOS, and not necessarily Nanosync or NS. When I tried to copy a complete folder there were many times that the copying process hung up and did not complete. Most disconcerting. I rely upon copying individual .nsp files and visually verifying the copied file before moving on to the next one. If you back up regularly this isn't so tedious. I should add that some of my projects can contain an inordinate amount of long samples in TRG kits, so the .nsp files are pretty big sized files. Your results may vary, but if you do bulk copy folders, I suggest you get busy with your eyeballs and double check that all the files in the folder were copied.

End of disagreement section of this post.

Blip Interactive

I seem to get away with transferring 1000+ files in a pop. As you say, it's probably a connection thing - let's face it, anything involving Wifi is as flaky as f*.

Slam-Cut

I completely agree with that! :o)

syrupcore

I had the 10 hour NanoSync copy problem once but only the once. After reporting it here (was around 250AD in iOS years) and finding no one else had the issue I tried again and it all flew. Now anytime it seems like it's going to take a while I disconnect and reconnect and all is fast again.

Slam-Cut

I'm clearly still living with a 250 AD mentality.

syrupcore

> I'm clearly still living with a 250 AD mentality.

You regularly have super slow transfers with Nanosync?

Slam-Cut

Yeah. When I grab a whole folder (like 12-20 projects & .nsp files) I have problems.

I also like 250 AD, but not as much as 900 AD. That was some rockin' good times! :o)