Response so far

45 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

Well, the response to NanoStudio so far has been incredible - far beyond my expectations.

The reviews in the App Store look so much like they've been written by mates or people I've paid off that it's almost embarrassing. I can assure you this isn't the case - most of my musical mates actually have Android phones, the traitors!

The response in Japan particularly has been incredible - No 1 seller and No 1 top grossing in the music category, and No 9 top grossing out of ALL APPS! In the UK it's listed under new and noteworthy, and it's around position 4 in the UK and US for top grossing music apps.

Obviously NanoStudio's not as mainstream as many apps in the store and I suspect it will fall from some charts quite quickly, but nonetheless I'm still amazed by the response.

Thanks particularly to those who have been active and enthusiastic on the forum. I've taken a couple of days off 'proper' work to try and answer every query as best I can, and make sure that extras such as NanoSync and the Mac/Windows version are running smoothly for as many people as possible. I'm also looking into adding a search function and SoundCloud embedding in the forum.

Once the dust is settled, I need to start on the first update - this will focus pretty well exclusively on getting things in and out of NanoStudio such as audio copy/paste, project export/import, MIDI import/export and publish to SoundCloud.

Thanks for you support, here are some of the user demos I've harvested so far, in no particular order!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOoSrICOHA
http://www.mediafire.com/?yfnjzz0jfgyn5p8
http://matheusound.net/nanostudio/prism.mp3
www.facebook.com/pages/Building-The-Station/61885171462
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWXI0Creq2k&feature=youtu.be

Wymark

The response you have had is equal to the work that you have put into this product...you have been kind, patient and generous with the people on the forum and always treated us with respect...let us know exactly how things were going...been very open and truthful about the whole process...

You are now reaping the rewards you truly deserve.

I hope I speak for everyone here and wish you all success, now and for the future of Nanostudio.

eatbeat

tnx for share my link

shimmy

Your product deserves all the credit it is getting!
I showed a few friends this app and now they are going to go out and buy an Ipod Touch just for NanoStudio.

davew

It's the first of the music apps that i've downloaded that i actually keep going back to rather than just hoping i will.

Defo a worthy success :)

somelamp

Just as shimmy said, NS definitely deserves all the 5 stars and reviews it got. Not only is it an amazing app, but it's also probably one of the only apps I've ever used that I have yet to find a single bug in. You put a lot of time into this app and it really shows. Keep up the good work! I hope to see Nano Studio continue to grow, along with the community!

shannong

I too hope the long effort you've clearly put into the design works out well for you financially. The app market can be a bit triksy that way, but it sounds like you're off to a strong start. I've certainly been pimping NanoStudio over on the other music forums that I frequent.

The response from the Japanese market is good news; they're a discerning bunch and they have some scary-good musicians and producers over there these days. Asia in general is starting to push the musical envelope instead of just copying western influences, but IMO Japan is really leading the charge. So much of our high end gear these days is designed and made by Japanese companies any more.

Astynaxe

Guys,

Well done on this amazing App...I've just left a 5 star review in the App Store with the subject line "I'm Speechless". I've already written a song today and absolutely love this App. Looking forward to future updates, enhancements and like i said in my review (hopefully) an iPad version :P
Either way, kudos to you. This app was clearly a labour of love. The quality and polish on it shows. Well done.

Nick

LamptonWorm

Well deserved mate! App is stunning..

Cheers,
LW.

eusti

The app is fabulous, especially considering that you did all the work by yourself! That you are open to suggestions and are actually interacting here with us just adds to it. I hope the app sees continued success at the app store and doesn't dip off after the first hype is gone! You deserve it.

D.

basQ

Well, my expectations might have been a bit skyrocking high after having seen the teaser of what will be "in the Appstore soon". You really did not have a huge chance to meet them - but so you did.

Nanostudio is nothing but mindblowing awesome. First of all, it's pure fun to play and to create something new with it, and that's what it's all about. Additionally, it comes with a good design, a good usability and fantastic sounds and possibilities to manipulate them. I did not spot any major bugs so far. It has a super fair pricing. Having been a lurker on this forum for quite a while, I just created an account to congratulate you on your new baby. It's - by far - the best application of it's kind for the iPhone.

Taking your patient attitude and respectful openness towards your future customers and now loyal fanboys into account, you really deserve the success of Nanostudio. It's something you can be proud of, as it brings entertainment and ways to creatively express themselves to so many people. I hope you will get a rich bastard from it! ;-)

So, thank you for this killer app, and please keep up the good work!

Greetings from Germany!

PS: I still can't believe I'm running all this just on my phone. What a stellar state of mind!

Blip Interactive

Thanks very much!

Sounds like you might have found some minor bugs? - if so, please tell!

As to being a rich bastard, I've got 15 months of unpaid work to claw back yet so I'll keep the yacht catalogue on hold :)

I know most Germans' English is good (better than our German certainly) but do you think it would be in my interests to get the German app store page translated? There's been so much to think about recently that I haven't had time to investigate translations yet, but I'm aware it seems a bit lazy.

Vendel

No.1 music creation software (App) Thanks for creating it!

I had to upload this video as I was so inspired to let people know how brilliant it is. I could have produced a much more rehearsed clip but I just wanted to show how quick and easy you can get your ideas down and recorded. (I could of turned the metronome down a bit but it was just a spontaneous session.

I'm looking forward to keeping with this app and I can't wait for the planned SoundCloud export.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vendel#p/u/0/lV3Cvqu7p3c

Vendel.

Blip Interactive

Hey nice - you've got better real time hi hat tapping skills than me.

Can I ask what camera you used? That looks as good as my mate's uber-broadcast camera I borrowed for the original demo.

basQ

Nope, no minor bugs either, just a little usability thing that hits me from time to time, but I do not want to complain about it until I actually read the friendly manual. I'll come back if I find nothing there. ;-)

I did not even realize the German Nanostudio Appstore page wasn't German, as I was so excited when the app finally hit the virtual shelves that the page could have been in Swahili or Klingon without me paying any attention to it. Hitting the "Buy" button as fast as possible was all I was there for. ;-)

To be more serious: I guess most of the German people targeted by this application have enough understandig of the English language to get the picture, also taking into account that many terms regarding electronic music production are English ones anyway. Maybe you should put a pointer to the product video at some prominent place in your description, as this is all it'll take to convince people.

I'm still impressed about your one man show here. Best of luck with that future yacht plans. ;-)

Blip Interactive

It's OK, I get really seasick anyway.

Electrostatic

Hi,
I just left some feedback in iTunes and felt the need to come and congratulate you here too...
This app is without any question the best music app there has ever been, and it's very likely it might not ever be topped.
Every single thing about it is spot on, dead easy to use, brilliant sounds, absolutley no glitches/bugs or crashes, massively fast and yet very easy on cpu...
Basically, it's stunning.

Oh, and I really hope the success that this will bring will mean you can give up your 'proper' job and do whatever you want to do. You deserve it for creating this.

Thank you very much.

Vendel

I've acquired my tapping skills at work so I've had loads of practice, drive people mad in the office!

I used a Sony TG3 (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-tg3e)
Its a great little camera that does 1080i, although for the YouTube vid clip I used standard def.

neut

I'd like to add as well that I think this is the best music app out there. I've got beatmaker, xewton music studio and a few others, but this beats them all hands down. I just love the fact that I can actually use this and compose on it it. I don't think I've ever commented on an app before but I feel nanostudio deserves it, I can't put my ipod down.

Thanks

neut

pagroove

I've bought it today and I find it almost unbelievable that this is coming out of my Iphone.
Thanks for making this. I'm running it through a Yamaha O1v mixing desk. I expect this to be used in my future productions.

These are my (old ones)
http://www.myspace.com/pagroovemusic

spyglasscircle

Truly love the application! i'm personally telling all of my musician/producer friends about the application. i can sit on the beach and make electro-house...how much fun is that?!

Thanks for putting this thing together, and please tell us users how we can help this app get more attention! (from an advertising perspective i highly recommend that you deploy some facebook enragement ads for this application. they're relatively cheap, and they have a high response rate, since you can target to a very specific user base.)

nice work!

Blip Interactive

Thanks for the tip - I've never been a Facebooker, so I've probably neglected it. I gather you meant engagement, not enragement! I've seen some ads in the past which would fall in the 'enragement' category though :)

What I have noticed is that the US seems pretty sleepy on taking up the app. It's lowest in the charts there and sells less than Japan and sometimes the UK. Given the difference in population size, it makes me think that I need to create more awareness across the pond somehow.

A second thing is that the NanoStudio YouTube video gets almost zero appearances in 'Related Videos'. Aside from the search keywords, I don't know what I can do to solve this.

marrickville

yeah strange that. I have noticed that the beatmaker user forum is heavily influenced by hip-hop-loving MPC fanboys with little care for nanostudio, self-restraint, introspection or grammar. Not saying that that means anything, but their bravado does make me think that an MPC style software such as beatmaker has more appeal than NS in the american market.

hypersleep

@marrickville: I've noticed the same thing about BeatMaker's forum/users. Also, the subforum for user created songs mostly consists of 5 second hip hip beats looped over and over again for 3 minutes.

Not surprisingly, there's a bit of trash talking about NS over there.

kd

I've just joined in to say, 'Thank you!!!!'
Also to let you know I live in the States and I'm doing my job as an evangelist of this product to my musical friends! Hahaha :)
What a pure joy it is to just simply pick up a phone (ipod / ipad for some) and make music away~
Thanks, again!

God bless.

djazz

I live in the US and use BeatMaker, Xewton, and Rebirth. I think NanoStudio will be and SHOULD be a big hit here in the US. But, I don't think people over here know that it exists and how great it is.

I learned about NanoStudio early on by reading posts to a music site. (This led to visiting the NanoStudio site hundreds of times and watching the demo video incessantly: -)

But, to get a big jump in sales in the US, you'll probably need to promote the app (posts, marketing, reviews by various music websites, etc....) I think the slow start in the states is due to our overly saturated market. There are too many apps available to quickly "discover" something, even if it's as incredible as NanoStudio.

Without some "noise" to draw attention to the app, it could get lost in the shuffle. The good news is, with even minor attention drawn to the app, it will take off, I believe. The app is just that good!!

shannong

it's also worth noting that for iPad users, the app is nearly 100% invisible because the iPad AppStore by default lists only iPad and universal apps.

Blip Interactive

I'm hoping that Create Digital Music will do a further piece on it. I gather that they've got a pretty good readership and they've done a quick article in conjunction with Amplitude but haven't featured it yet. I think that a couple of UK print magazines will be reviewing it too, but I'm not sure about their overseas readership.

I suppose one hope is that YouTube does its viral thing as user videos get posted and start linking to other related videos.

I've always been quite anti-advertising and like to pretend I'm immune to it but I'm probably stuck in the dark ages! I should probably think about it more.

I need a gossip mag piece where some famous musician writes off their sports car because they were using NanoStudio whilst driving :)

shannong

Also hit up the AppReviews site (they make the AppAdvice app too), Gizmodo, Engadget, and LifeHacker. Get any or all of them to do a blurb for you. Especially AppReviews/AppAdvice. Also there is some App page on Facebook that I think is run by Apple themselves, which has fairly deep penetration. (That didn't come out quite right, lol)

Blip Interactive

Thanks for those leads - and you're right about it being invisible to iPad users. I was looking on the store using an iPad the other day and was most puzzled for a while!

djazz

As a minimum, if you haven't already, it might be helpful to create a press release and sending it to dozens of sites, related businesses, etc..... Most likely some of them will jump on board with reviews, release notices, etc...

On the word of mouth level, I'm telling everyone I think might be remotely interested how great the app is. I have over 100 apps and NanoSync is head and shoulders above the rest - as an app. As a portable music sequencer, I still have to pinch myself regularly to believe that I'm actually using such an incredible, powerful, well-designed product in my hands....