controllers: general info & specific recommendations

3 replies [Last post]
jimdw

ok...i think i've paid my dues and put in the hours tapping on the ipad screen. as amazing as it is to be able to make songs with only a single device and headphones, it's time to step up to a controller and interface.

will any MIDI controller connected to an appropriate iOS MIDI interface control nanostudio properly, including playing eden synths and using hardware pads to play TRG samples and possibly tweaking other parameters?

i have an akai mpk mini but i've been looking at 49 key controllers like novation's impulse 49, the akai MPK249, or the m-audio code 49.

i've also been considering push 2 but it has no MIDI outs. i wonder if that can be used with a USB to MIDI cable to connect to the MIDI input of an interface to control NS on the iPad...or not...?

of course whichever controller i end up with, i'll want to take advantage of velocity sensitivity, expression, and aftertouch on keys/pads.

i'm just getting my bearings with this and would appreciate any advice and tips....general info and suggestions about which specific model might be best for quality, ease of use, important features, etc.

fwiw, i'll also be using the controller for ableton live on the mac.

jim
https://soundcloud.com/projectx-ray

syrupcore

> will any MIDI controller connected to an appropriate iOS MIDI interface control nanostudio properly, including playing eden synths and using hardware pads to play TRG samples and possibly tweaking other parameters?

Pretty much, yes. Most modern controllers will work over USB via lightning adapter without the need for an interstitial MIDI interface; just have to make sure it's "class compliant".

Lots of good ones out there. My personal fave is the Novation X-station. They're no longer made but come up used here and there. They work with iPad/Mac automatically, are laid out like a synth (actually includes a digital synth) and include a two channel audio interface with effects. I also had good luck with the Samson Graphite line. They're very inexpensive for the amount of features on offer, particularly used.

jimdw

cool. thanks for your help. and if i connect to a MIDI interface that works with iOS, is any controller then compatible? or do controllers still need to be class compliant when used with interfaces?

syrupcore

Yes, as long as the controller has a DIN MIDI output port. Lots of modern ones do not (USB MIDI only).