Slice

2 replies [Last post]
grindoxsaurus

So the manual says

Note Slicing
When NOTE SLICE is set to OFF, each key will trigger the sample at the appropriate pitch. This is the default behaviour you'd normally want for melodic samples (eg. a piano).
When NOTE SLICE is set from 1-64 the sample is always triggered at the same pitch, and the key instead determines which 'slice' is played by affecting the sample's start position. This is useful for chopping and re- arranging beat loops, but can also be used for interesting effects on other samples such as vocals.
When NOTE SLICE is enabled, the C1 key ('C', one octave up from the bottom) always triggers slice 1. Slice 2 is triggered by C#1, slice 3 by D1, etc.
Tip : NanoStudio comes supplied with some standard MIDI files for triggering sliced loops at various intervals. You can import one of these MIDI files into the song editor and then use it as the basis for re- arranging the loop by transposing notes within the pattern editor.

Does this mean if I tap out Bpm the slices will adjust to the Bpm tapped out or is Bpm not functional with the slicing? I guess I want to act as if it's a mpc chop function let me know manual didn't answer my question !

syrupcore

It sort of works like the MPC chop function but it's at fixed intervals—you can't get a clean slice from a sample with any swing to the beat, for instance. You can use one of the XY pads to adjust the sample start though so if you're tenacious, you can use a bit of automation to adjust a given slice a bit.

Also, the slices are just for sample start—even when you have it chopped it 64 slices, you can keep a note held down for as long as you want and the sample will continue (meaning it's not going to cut out as soon as 1/64 of the same is played). Sometimes you can use this to pull out the 'not quite on beat' slices. Say you want a loop chopped into 8 slices but (what would be) the 5th slice has a snare that comes in a little early. Normally if you trigger that 5th slice, the snare will be cut off or missing. If you instead make it 64 slices you can experiment a little to find the key that actually triggers the start of the snare. In that case, to play the other 7 seven slices, you'd play notes 8 steps apart. Damn, I'm explaining this terribly! Just try it.

So, yes: if you chop a sample into 16 slices and play those into the piano roll you can adjust the BPM of the song and the chops will stay in time. What it wont do is time stretch the sample so if you adjust the song tempo relative to the original loop's you'll hear gaps or slices overlapping. You can use the OSC pitch in eden to adjust the tempo of the original. It will pitch shift it but it'll work. Quick way to determine how much to adjust it is to put the original into a TRG pad, set it to "Loop" and use the stretch function—the Course/Fine fields will show you how much to adjust the OSC pitch in Eden.

grindoxsaurus

Would it be too much to ask you to create an nsp with a drop box one with the sample in it and one with a Eden? Thanks for the response I figured if I copy and pasted from the manual y'all would take me seriously lol it's been a few years since I posted I even made an awful YouTube video explaining the new slice feature but never took it much further now I'm trying to get that on the train in the lunch room workflow up

Soundcloud.com/yunsumz