file management: syncing multiple devices w mac

4 replies [Last post]
jimdw

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 5 that only has 16 GB. I'm running nano studio on it, and I'm also running nano studio on an iPad.

I need to clear space on my iPhone and since I do most of my work on the iPad anyway I'm going to remove all or most of my NanoStudio files from the iPhone for now. Of course I want to back them up to my computer using nano sync.

The problem is some of the files are the same between devices, I.E. same filename – – but some songs are at different stages. In most cases the iPhone has older versions but I don't want to take a chance of over writing something that might be newer.

There are so many different songs that I'm afraid going through manually might take a lot of time and introduce the possibility of me getting confused and over writing the wrong file.

I have used nano sync in the past to sync both devices although I haven't synced the iPhone in quite a long time since I haven't been using it in quite a long time; and i'm overdue to sync the ipad.

Will nano sync automatically detect the newest version and *not* over write a newer version with an older version? If so, is this tried and true, reliable and accurate?

Or am I better off just doing it manually?

of course, due to the storage issues on my phone I can't download and use any extra apps that might be good at doing this...unless they are *very* small and very stable.

Thanks so much for any ideas.

Ps: I have Nano studio version 1.44 on the iphone. I'm quite certain it's the same on the iPad. I can't find it to confirm that but when I open the App Store and view nano studio it doesn't show any updates available so I would assume this must mean it's current.... mac OS is 10.6.8 w nanosync 1.2. strangely, when i open nano studio and view about info it reports 1.42. but when i go to itunes > get info it says 1.44 and shows no update banner/option....

Slam-Cut

I don't use Mac, so this might be bit different for you, but I prefer to manually back up all of my projects. I assume that you know how to archive your project first, but if not:
Get all of the presets saved to the Project folder
Save your projects as .nsp files
Create 2 new folders on your computer with today's date: iPhone Projects xx-xx-xx and iPad Projects xx-xx-xx
Use Nanosync to transfer the files to the new folder so that you avoid accidentally over-writing a newer version. I don't think Nanosync will detect a newer version, but that might be a great idea to add to the Wishlists thread.

Something I do that is useful to coordinate between multiple iDevices is to add the current date whenever you save, whether it be a project, mixdown, or .nsp file. Song Title xx-xx-xx
That will help in the future.

"Fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an occassion".

jimdw

hey slam-cut.

in fact, i ended up doing just that recently...except i didn't explicitly save presets. i just saved evth as .nsp and created date titled folders, dated versions, and manually saved w NSync.

can you say more about the presets part? am i to assume some presets might be held outside the project folder and not rolled into the .nsp?

i was under the (perhaps false) impression the .nsp grabbed absolutely evth needed for a given project.

thanks,

j

Slam-Cut

A .nsp file only saves the presets that are in the Project bank (P). IF you never change presets that are in banks A-G, you may not notice a problem, BUT if you open an old project that uses preset A34, AND that preset was changed since saving the project (as .prj or .nsp file) then the sound will be different. For that reason the safest practice is to add your presets to the Projects's Project bank, especially when saving as a .nsp file. Basically the P bank lives only in the project, whereas A-G live 'on the app'. [I know that is an embarassingly bad explaination, and I'm suitably emarassed of it...) What I do often is try to save the preset of track 1 to P01, the preset on track 2 to P02, etc. That also helps when I get back to a project several month later and need to figure out what was going on.
Hope that helps.

jimdw

thank you -- that helps a lot. good to know.