Inserting 2/4 Bar Into 4/4 Song

8 replies [Last post]
Ajak

How can I insert a 2/4 bar into a 4/4 song? I tried selecting that bar for all instruments & changing the time signature but it affected the whole song. There seems to be no way to split a bar in two so one half could be deleted, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Slam-Cut

Welcome to the forum Ajak!

I don't think that it is possible to change time signatures. That is a feature that has been requested and will hopefully be in NanoStudio2.

I am a bit curious why you want to add a 2/4 section in a 4/4 song. I think that you could just work around it by adding sub-tracks that have half measures (good name for a band) where the second half of the 4/4 measure is empty, but you pick up the 4/4 in the main track. The sub-tracks would just help give a visual of what's going on. I know it's a bit wonky, but that's the only thing that strikes me right off. I suppose that's not what you are really going for, but I will be interested to hear why that won't work as a temporary work-around.

Ajak

Blue Oyster Cult - Then Came The Last Days Of May, for some reason they inserted a 2/4 bar in a 4/4 song & I am making a backing track with bass & drums.

The sub-track solution seems awkward but I will try to get my head around it, can find no reference to sub-tracks in the manual.

http://musicnoteslib.com/tabs/Blue_Oyster_Cult-Then_Came_The_Last_Days_O...

Slam-Cut

Page 33 in the manual has info on "Add Track". There are 15 tracks (provided you do have the expansion) and each of those tracks can have 3 'sub-tracks', which are under the main track in terms of the Mixer. You can have different instruments on those sub-tracks, but in the simple version it is all the same instrument, like elec guitar, and the sub-tracks can be used to capture different takes or maybe the same take with different processing. I think one could keep track of 2/4 sections by using the 2/4 bits on a sub-track.

This may not be necessary in your case since I saw only one 2/4 section. I didn't analyze the song to see why this was done by B.O.C. since for sequencing purposes it really shouldn't matter. I would ignore the 2/4 time change. It might be easier to print out the score and then move the bar over to make the 2/4 section 4/4. You'll have to keep moving the bars over until the end of the score, then in the final measure add a half rest. My professor would look at me most sternly for suggesting such a thing, but it seems like you have a task to do and want to get 'er done. The result should still be the same to the ears as everything is based on a quarter note frame of reference.
...or wait until NS2 is released later this year.

Stiksi

Yeah, I can see why you haven't seen subtracks mentioned, they're actually just called tracks in the manual. Each instrument instance can have four midi tracks assigned to it, all are equal as far as the app is considered. We sometimes call them "lanes" but officially they're just "tracks". I mostly use them to separate midi automation and notes so I can use different length patterns for them, or with drums I separate highs mids and lows to different tracks.

Ajak

Not sure what you mean by "move the bar over" would that not cause the following verses to begin in the middle of the following bars? A diagram might help.

Interestingly there is a one bar drumbeat at the beginning of the song.

Stiksi

So why don't you just use 2/4 for the whole song? It wouldn't actually affect anything except the metronome ticking 2/4 but you can do the one 2/4 bar easily.

Slam-Cut

Good idea Stiksi. I wasn't clear before when I said move the bar over. I should have said move the bar over to the right. There might be a bit of weirdness to the listener who is sight reading the original score while you are playing it (although I don't think so), but from a purely listening experience it should all sound the same. This is just a way of working around the software limitations of not being able to change the time signature, and not a perfect one at that. If the time signature shifted to 3/4 with a waltz feel, then this wouldn't work so well, but since 4/4 is easily divisible by 2/4 it should work. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

syrupcore