Cannot connect to soundcloud

37 replies [Last post]
JoeMotive

Recently I wanted to upload a new track to one of my soundcloud accounts and it failed (probably because I didn't have any "time" available on that account so I logged out of that account and tried to log into my second soundcloud. Upon doing so, the log in screen for soundcloud shows up in nanostudio only for a split second and then goes to a blank loading screen that never ends and I am unable to log in to ANY soundcloud account. Please help!

Slam-Cut

I'm not sure what would cause that, but I hope you have tried the obvious first step: close NS and restart your iDevice, then try again.
I always upload to SC from my computer, which I find more reliable. I also have a process of backing up the .wav file to the computer first, which is part of my forced back-up process to minimize the potential loss if all files are only on the iDevice. Hope that helps.

XavierBacon

This happens to me too. Restarted multiple times, same every time. The SoundCloud screen blips up for a fraction of a second then disappears to grey and a whirling, never finishing load icon. Please can this be fixed ASAP? I always upload direct to SC and it's a real pain not being able to.

Blip Interactive

Gah that's annoying, SoundCloud must have changed something at their end. The unfortunate truth is that NanoStudio is unlikely to get an update now since I need to concentrate fully on NanoStudio 2. Although I suspect this would be a quick fix, all app updates are now required to have 64 bit support, and this would be a major amount of work since NS1 is still 32 bit.

Slam-Cut

Entirely understandable. We can load to SC via computers or other apps.

ElectricWombat

I've only used the SC share aspect once briefly as a test, so I'm unsure how it's supposed to work but mines already setup (connected) so does that mean it automatically re-connects when you open up the share dialogue? Or does the error you mention occur when you finally click on share (after selecting and naming the target file etc)? Mine doesn't seem to have any issues initially (iPhone 4s running IOS 9) but I haven't tried to let it complete etc. It would be good if anyone else can kindly try it to see if it's an isolated issue etc. :)

kitejan

@Blip: So is that no update to NS1 ever, or just this side of NS2 being released (for obvious reasons)?

Jan

ElectricWombat

@KiteJan: I assume Matt meant this side of the NS2 release. Man that's mighty annoying that you have to repackage the entire thing for 64 bit in order to submit any kind of update! Would be kinda typical of SC to do nothing for the development of their useless app (but then break their API) lol. Fortunately everything seems fine so far on the IOS 9 front; aside from the aforementioned SC glitch (which needs to be verified by the community ideally). Can you upload to sound SC Jan? :)

kitejan

I havent uploaded directly from NS for a very long time - so I never noticed it not working. As I'm out of space on Soundcloud and I haven't done anything recently I'm not likely to upload anything for a while either.

I'm more concerned about potential future issues with NS and iOS9/Audiobus - well maybe not iOS9.0 as I think thats fine - more the iOS9.1 or something :-) We all know how Apple iOS updates seem to cause havoc with something, somewhere.

I just made just everything I might use for music was upgraded to iOS 8.4.1 just prior to iOS 9 being released - so I'm good for at least 6 months at least.

ElectricWombat

He he ;) just when you thought the IOS water was safe! :0 Aggggh! Well I've got plenty of space on there and I am happy to test it; but as the aforementioned abomination of an app won't let me take down anything (and I don't have access to a computer currently) it will have to wait until I can hijack my friends iMac (this weekend probably) then I'll give it the IOS 9 treatment and see what happens! :)

Yeh I understand what you're saying, it's a little frightening that Apples new policy complicates matters considerably but NanoStudio seems to possess some magical (stealth like) protective armour technology that allows it to run faster than anything else whilst being reluctant to irritation by said IOS weirdness; so hopefully everything will be cool! :)

Slam-Cut

I successfully used NS to upload a file to SC.
Now, mind you I was confronted with the same problem as JoeMotive. My only way around it was to keep repetitively pressing the SC share button. I was trying to read the quickly flashed message, something about "Allow Nanostudio to connect to your SoundCloud Account" or something close to that. After pressing maybe 8-10 times in a row, suddenly the screen stayed up and I was able to enter the info and log into SC. In this case, the 'monkey press button' method worked. I didn't use my brain to fix anything, except that before the repetitive attempts I did get off my WiFi network and just use the faster Cellular connection. That might have something to do with it...?

The SC iPhone app used to have a lot more functionality. I was bewildered when they took away the ability to post comments with the app. That was the main way I listened to SC. Now I only rarely post comments because I have to take the time to get to the computer and sit and listen. Time that could and should be spent working on music composition. So much more useful when I can listen to the app while doing productive things. SC doesn't have any clue how much they have screwed up their product and don't seem to care that they are alienating the musicians that provide the content to their site/app. If anyone is interested, I have found another site that seems to be like a SC replacement: Logamp. I think they offer unlimited uploads. It's a much smaller community, obviously no Share button within NS, but a possible alternative for people who are fed up with SC.

ElectricWombat

Yeh I must admit I'd love for someone to setup an alternate company/solution to SoundCloud and make things better (whilst simultaneously knocking them off their undeserved pedestal) as it would be both delicious and satisfying at the same time! ;) With every update I hope they're going to sort it out but it never happens sadly. Dam... If it was freaking out for you too that doesn't bode well, but I'll be sure to try it under IOS9 also to see if it makes any difference etc.

Slam-Cut

Forgot about the implications of Kitejan's question. A good one, and no doubt Blip Interactive management team as well as the CEO and shareholders are still discussing what to do about NS1. (Granted all those entities dwell in Matt's brain, but it would be an interesting conversation to listen in on as a fly on the wall, ... er skull?) Converting apps to 64 bit: isn't there an app for that?

Doubtless it will be a lot of labor for questionable returns. I suppose in part it will depend upon what the marketing team comes up with (yeah, they dwell in the same bit of gray matter, just on the other side). They could decide to repackage NS as NS Lite (less calories and less functionality) and promote NS2 as NS Pro. The fact that they would be different apps could be a plus if NS2 contains a way to sync with NS1 (MIDI clock?) so that NS1 was like an additional set of tracks slaved to NS2. Bonus polyphony and all the NS1 presets would make the combo quite attractive and worth upgrading NS1 to 64 bit.

Some of the other major developments being proposed by members of the management team are implementing the Apple iPen to auto-fill accompaniment to any melody and using the iWatch to virtually conduct all tracks as if they were an orchestra. Or maybe it was vice-versa and the pen is used to conduct...? Can't remember. I didn't take notes at that meeting.

ElectricWombat

Yeah it's a problematic issue and I don't see any easy solution - I seem to remember it took Avid' Pro Tools developers considerable time to reincarnate it as 64 bit (but I think that was largely to do with Avid)! As you mentioned regarding @KiteJan's question it all depends on whether IOS 9 and its future updates create problems or not which remains to be seen; but the good news is that it's positive thus far so let us hope it continues that way! :)

Stiksi

@ Slam-Cut: Ok, so I put up an account on Logjam… no wait JamUp, WinAmp… Logamp! But I can't find you in search. Are you under a different name?

Also, does it have a player app? I can't find one…

Slam-Cut

JamUp is a great name for a music social network! You marketing genius you! Let's start the new company!
I'm there under my lame name (which I found in a book because I couldn't actually think of something creative as a log-in name for the NS forum. Slam-Cut - as you probably know a film term for an abrupt edit, like a complete change of scene with no transitions. I haven't posted any tracks yet, so maybe that is the problem with the search results? I really just went there to listen to Progeny-1's tracks. He left SC and is only posting there now. I think he does some pretty cool stuff. I haven't spent much time there and I don't know the site very well yet, but I doubt they have a player.

Stiksi

Ah, I always thought that was a jump-cut. We have a completely different slang in Finland so I'm not very well versed in English film-speak.

I don't think JamAmp will replace Soundcloud any time soon but it's good to keep an eye on the competition just in case one of them matures.

Blip Interactive

Slam-Cut makes me think of cut'n'shut, the practice of joining two different crashed cars together to make one 'new' one!

ElectricWombat

I never really thought about Slam-Cut as being a video editing thing (although it makes a lot of sense) I figured it was more of a DJ/mixing thingy (slamming the fader hard and dropping a mix in with a sledgehammer) he he! :)

Slam-Cut

Yes, jump-cut is used over here to mean the same thing as slam-cut. I wanted to change names on the forum and couldn't think of anything so just randomly found slam-cut. I'll need a better name for the NS2 forum. I better start looking now. Maybe Cut'n'Shut will work...? :o)

syrupcore

Think you should go with "Matt's Mom" for the new forum. I'm going with "What Stiski Said" just to save a little time.

Slam-Cut

Hmm. I suppose whatsyrupcoresaid would still be available...

Does raise the question if there will be a new NS2 forum or just a new section of the NS forum. A new forum would be nice, but I can't decide which way would be less confusing for newbie and old NSers that get back on board with NS2. Will the NS1 tips totally confuse NS2 users?
Maybe a different color theme will clarify things? Is that sky blue or baby blue? Is baby blue even a real color? Damn, I'm already confused.

Stiksi

Because sequels are required by law to be "grittier" and "edgier" than the first version, I vote for a black on black scheme for NS2!

You could make an ad about it: "Ever wonder what your microscopic studio looks like when nobody's around?"

Seriously, though, I would love a forum that doesn't randomly ban users.

BAD FUN

So as of yesterday, I am also having this problem. Seems like the only current solution is to continue to try and connect, wait for the screen to flash, cancel it out, and start over again in the hopes that the SoundCloud login screen will stick.

In the meantime, is there a work around to post tracks to the Official NS Group on SoundCloud? Should we load tracks to our profile and share them with you (Blip Interactive) so that you can add them to the group?

Thanks,

Mike

Slam-Cut

Obviously one can transfer the .wav file to computer with Nanosync, if you have access to a computer. If not, and if all the reset iDevice options don't help, maybe mixdown separate tracks to an audio DAW (MuliTrack DAW or Auria). I think those apps take better advantage of AudioShare and Dropbox (but I haven't tried this). Those apps might help you get a track onto SC. Once you get around that hurdle I think that SC allows you to share a track to any group.

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

I f...... hate soundcloud really. Sadly there is still no really good competition. The servers a bad, the support and they gone extremly pro consumer and contra producer. And last but not least all the f..... spam shit!
Did i say that i hate the f..... soundcloud..... damn.... i hate all kinds of virtual clouds......
.... rant over ;)
Cheers!

Stiksi

I love how you can imagine virtual clouds looking like things. For example, snails, tortoises, sloths, paint drying, or when it gets really exciting, car crashes, plane accidents or house fires.

Soundcloud is a mess, it's always been a mess but now they've made it their business model. They'll probably be dead in a few years. I joined that other cloud Logjam, no wait Logamp (not Winamp), and I'm getting 10x the plays I get on Soundcloud. Not that that's very much, still in the double digits. Soundcloud used to be good for having a good direct way of contacting interesting artists but now that's pretty much gone.

Slam-Cut

What Stiksi said.

Stiksi

Kamalesha, this thread was about the built-in Soundcloud upload feature of Nanostudio, which is an iOS app. You should check it out, it's a really good iOS DAW.

Slam-Cut

What Stiksi said.

BAD FUN

So this remains a problem (the SC login screen that appears for a second and then disappears). Is it ever going to get fixed? I know I can post my music to SC through other means, but I am unaware of any way to have songs added to the Official NanoStudio Group other than through the iOS app.

So how do we get songs added to the Official NanoStudio Group? Is there any other way or workaround until this gets fixed?