Two issues with Eden synth

18 replies [Last post]
Dubshotta

Hey guys,

I am having some Troubles to get my workflow started with Eden. Just in case, i read so much about Eden and watched a whole bunch of Videos, but Cant find a Solution.

1.)
When i load a sample into Eden, with a blank preset, i still have some effects on it. But i cant figure IT out To get rid of them. I wanna start with a complete naked preset. How ever i need help.

2.)
When i select the Song Modus and edit the Eden pattern, it always shows the C's and Thats IT, how can i Switch Around? I selection in Eden the Minor keys to do some stuff.

Hopfully someone can help me and sorry for MY english...

Greetz Sam

syrupcore

It's worth it to spend a little time making your own 'blank' preset. Then use that one to start off any new patches. Any of the existing Eden presets named <EMPTY> is a good place to start. Only thing a little tweaky there is that the filter envelope is set to 100%.

Not quite sure what you're asking in #2. If you mean the key of the keyboard in scale mode, you can change that in the menu "manage>project>key transpose".

syrupcore

As long as I can buy a commerative copy of NS2 on 5.25" floppy, I'm good.

ElectricWombat

@DubShotta, NanoStudio FX and their associated controls can exist in a variety of locations so here's a break down for visiting them in Eden/Mixer which will force you to visit/check each area:

1) Eden (level 2) the assignable knob and X/Y pads (set in level 8) may be assigned to FX Send 1/2 etc (if so turn them off).

2) Eden (level 6) turn off the global FX Sends 1/2.

3) Eden (level 8) this is the matrix where you can assign the performance knob and X/Y pads.

4) Eden (level 9) turn off Insert FX units 1/2.

A) Mixer (level 1) scroll sideways to the associated Eden channel* and select it.

B) Mixer (level 2/3/4) turn off the associated mixer channel Insert FX units 1/2/3/4.

C) Mixer (level 1) scroll sideways to the Global Send FX channels* 1/2 and select/examine each.

D) Mixer (level 2/3/4) turn off the associated mixer channel Insert FX units 1/2/3/4.

*Note: If FX are in use the FX icon will glow green to let you know at a glance.

All of this is in the NS studio help documentation, but I understand it can be bewildering to new users as there is so many locations to visit and verify how the effects are assigned. My advice is to work through the entire help documentation one area at a time. Then it's important to apply what you learn as you go (by making something quickly) as by using the skills you have learned it promotes the process of 'deep learning' (bite size persistent understanding via doing).

PS: Also be aware that if you are working with samples in Eden, it is possible for a sample to have FX 'baked' into it (i.e. Pre-processed with Reverb etc to save on CPU/RAM). This is an integral technique with regard to workflow for maximising sonic potential; however just don't be caught out trying to locate it's treatment parameters when they don't exist as they're already 'baked in'!

ElectricWombat

@SyrupCore, awesome idea - I'd like mine on a Platinum BASF 90 minute cassette - Comadore 64 style complete with irritating loading sound (beeeeep... squuueeel... bip... bip... beeeeep blip... blip... etc) ;)

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

Press play on tape.... enter run!

ElectricWombat

@GalaxyExplorer, He he he ;)

Slam-Cut

Can I have mine on an Atari 8 kB ROM cartridge, please.
Useless, but hella cool retro.

ElectricWombat

@SlamCut, yeh Atari cartridges - now that's a mighty fine choice! ;)

Dubshotta

Thanks guys for your help and tipps. I will work myself through your advices and see in i can get a long.

I will be back Soon ;)

Dubshotta

What i wanna do is just Play a regular reggae Piano chord, but IT always Shows me only the C's in Song modus... As a noob IT is quiet complicated to describe my Problem... Sorry guys

Dubshotta

@syrupcore you said Even in a blank preset, the Filter envelope ist at 100%. I tried my best, but absolutly nothing changes... Beeing new to something always pisses me off...

Stiksi

@Dubshotta: Ok, I'm trying to understand you. Do you mean this screen?

I've marked out the rest of the notes for you. This screen does not change if you change the keyboard scale in Eden – it will still show all chromatic keys.

Please, read the manual, it will answer so many questions in no time at all. You can find the manual in the top left under "Nanostudio Resources/FAQs". You will get the hang of this awesome app much quicker by reading it. Afterwards, it will be much easier to ask the questions you need to ask because you will know the right words. And you will get simple answers because we will understand you better.

If the effects you can't get rid of are in the bottom screen in Eden, those two effects are a part of Eden and can't be removed. They can be turned off.

To get a nearly blank preset, go to the top screen of Eden, switch the BANK to "Project" and make sure your PRESET says "EMPTY". Now, go two screens down to the screen with FILTER ENVELOPE. Turn the amount to 0. Now you have a completely flat preset. Save this to one of the other banks and you have a decent starting point (which, incidentally, sounds pretty good).

Sorry, if you know all this stuff already. Since you weren't getting the answers you want, I needed to check this first.

Dubshotta

@Stiksi amen ! thanks dude ! i´ll read the manual once again... sometimes, even as half american/german, english manuals are pretty hard to understand...

Stiksi

Yep, manuals are sometimes a pain, but in this particular case, well worth it. Hope you find what you're looking for!

I've also been editing my post like crazy so sorry if it changed around all the time.

Dubshotta

yeah, i saw you added something after i read it for the first time ! thanks man for your effords! as soon as my girls are sleeping, i´ll grab my ipad and read/try again..

i will lwt you know if i solved the big mystery ;)

Dubshotta

i think i found the solution weeks ago, but forgot it during babystress :D :D :D

i tried it on my laptop and it worked, so give me a moment to double check that on my ipad :D

syrupcore

@dub sorry, I should been more clear: on the filter envelope, make sure to set the "Amount" knob to zero. Then the filter cut-off frequency knob will work like you expect. Or I think that's what you're expecting. That default has bitten most of us as we learned the synth.

Jeppan74

@Dubshotta Please post your Songs when you're done. I'd love to hear them!