iOS 8.3 killed my file transfert method from iphone to ipad

23 replies [Last post]
Major Lee

Hi Blip,

iOS 8.3 has hidden the document directory access to non file sharing apps.
I was transferring my presets and projects from Nanostudio iphone to Nanostudio ipad with iexplorer app on my imac (it was very quick and slick, i used to save all my Nano documents once a month with the same app) and it no longer works.
Do you intend to introduce file sharing in Nanostudio (2?) . Knowing Apple, i do not thing they will give again access to document directories.
Turnaround : I now no longer export my project to Nanostudio ipad but i mix channels on iphone and export them to dropbox via audioshare app.
Long life to Nanostudio and no use to say I am willing to pay for Nanostudio 2 soon

Major Lee

ElectricWombat

@MajorLee, hi :) yeh I heard that the IOS 8.3 update had a detrimental impact on the file sharing component of iTunes. There was a vicious response to a related article posted by 'Tim Webb' over at www.discchord.com (some time back) which got pretty ugly - to my surprise (one of the unfortunate side effects of Tim not moderating forum comments sadly).

As usual 'trolls' were quick to crawl out from under their little rocks with aggressive responses etc. But suffice to say, there were some very disgruntled IOS users concerning Apple's decision to change this and ultimately tighten up an already closed system even further. As such I can appreciate your frustration but perhaps Matt can shed some light on the technical impact of this upon NS/2.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the warning guys!
Basically, don't 'upgrade' to 8.03.
If Apple sorts this out, it will likely take then until 9.1.5
If we're lucky...

tom_tm

After doing some research, I found that this software apparently still works. But it's payware. I haven't tried it though, so I can't guarantee whether this is true or not.

http://www.copytrans.net/download.php

There's also a version available for Mac.

Major Lee

Hi Tom_tm and thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work any more (just tried it). It seems i am back to nanosync if i want full save of my projects.
(works but slower than my previous method that worked at USB 3 speed).

Best regards

Leroyo

tom_tm

:( Sorry

It's annoying because I've often had to use iFunbox to back up/swap any banks that aren't a,b or c.

Maybe Matt can provide the solution?

Blip Interactive

This is a pain. The obvious solution would be to update NanoStudio with file sharing enabled. My main problem is that NanoStudio hasn't been updated for some time and as a result requires a serious amount of work (including conversion to 64 bit) to release against the current version of iOS.

I was really hoping to avoid such work so I can focus my energies on NS2. Sadly I think I'm just going to have to let this remain broken, since there is a solution with NanoSync (although I appreciate that doesn't work for all users).

Who knows what's around the corner with iOS 9 ...

Major Lee

Hi Blip and thanks for your honest answer

Happy to know that NS2 is ongoing cookin' and focused on. Any target date, Quarter or this is a secret info....

Blip Interactive

Hmm honest answer about NS2? Well, it feels like I've been doing it for so long now that the concept of a release doesn't feel real in some ways! I've had ups, I've downs, I've had periods or high productivity and periods where I feel like I no longer care. I suppose it's probably very close to how it must feel writing a book.

I'm trying to build NS2 as a logical extension (feature / quality expansion) of NS1 but there's definitely a law somewhere that says the amount of work goes as a square or a cube when you do this, rather than linearly as you'd hope - it's probably written in some management textbook I'd never want to read!

I'd really really like to get it finished this year. I really really really wouldn't want it to go on for more than 12 months from now.

You now have the same written detail of my schedule as I do :)

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the great answer Matt. I agree with leaving it broken and just using Nanosync (which is what I do anyway). Likely there will be people who won't read this prior to updting to iOS 8.3 and will come here looking for answers once the problem exists. We'll try to pass on the word to just use Nanosync for now.

Thanks also for the update on NS2. You have a lot of fans who are cheering for you from the virtual stands. My seat is a recliner and I have a cute waitress bringing me beers and bangers.
Good luck fighting through the jungle of code!

tom_tm

Just look at NS as your MSc, NS2, PhD.

This year? Fuck Yeah! I can't wait!

Blip Interactive

> Just look at NS as your MSc, NS2, PhD.

I think you've pretty well hit the nail on the head there!

tom_tm

:)

Major Lee

I Must confess I didn't understand the "MSc,NS2 PhD" formula but it must be well known in the "skulls and bones" park :-)
Moreover i am a dirty Frech guy not always familiar with English private jokes.

One of my Guru's in music production (Graham Cochrane who leads "the Recording Revolution" blog often says that fixing ourselves milestone in the agenda helps moving on. (understand me Blip , i don't suggest you procrastinate and i am a big fan of your work. Nanostudio is really a model for me as ios apps are concerned).

What I suggest is that we have something to buy from you just before Xmas so that you can have a rest with your family at this nice period of the year.

Best regards and congratulations again.

Major Lee

Stiksi

In a way releasing a new app just before christmas would be shrewd because the app store closes for the holidays so you can't submit any bug fixes. So holiday for the dev too!

Nu2moro

Matt if you are going to release nanostudio2 just do it.
If you are have second thoughts about the time and commitment to the project you really don't want to be wasting time trying to create something then abandon the idea. It's precious time you ought to spending with your family and friends.
You can be alive for a long time but you only have a short time to live it!

Slam-Cut

If NS2 will be Matt's PhD, then I can't wait to start referring to Dr. Blip. That's fun.

tom_tm

+1 for Dr. Blip!

Major Lee, exactly the same system is used in France. MSc means 'Master of Science'. PhD means 'Philosopher's Degree". Blip mentioned writing a book, and essentially doing a PhD is writing a book. That is where the 'joke' is. So Blip's 'Master' was Nanostudio, and his 'pièce de résistance', will be his 'book', his 'PhD'.... henceforth, Nanostudio 2.

Geddit? :)

Slam-Cut

I would imagine the difficulties are compounded by accomodating every old iPhone and old OS possible, so I would support the decision to focus on one version for starters for newer devices/iOS, much as with NS1 (iPhone then iPad; vice versa is fine too), if that helps to get a version of NS2 out sooner. Also many of the dream features could be later IAPs (so long as you leave the possibility to implement the code later). Just a couple random thoughts.

ElectricWombat

Pretty soon IOS developers creating 'new' Apps are going to have to inevitably update their minimum hardware threshold to 64-bit (goodbye 4s) as it becomes counterproductive really designing around obsolete technology. Positive Grid recently expressed this; though I assume 'Bias FX' can run on earlier 32-bit technology still?

It won't be long before the iPhone 6s is released with its 2 gig of RAM etc. The progression of technology is insatiable, but it's amazing - antigravity trains, AI cars, independent missions to Mars... how awesome is it to be alive in 2015! ;)

Slam-Cut

You sir are correct, but I feel like I still have 1995 mentality.

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

I wish i would live beyond 3000 ;)

The only problem could be that the expectations will grow more and more and the competition will not sleep. Here are a lot of "fans".... me included. This will not be enough. But i would def. wait what iOS will break (or solve) in a few months. It's maybe the best time short after a major release to release the kraken before the next will break the thing ;)
I'm beyond waiting for any software now and just use what i have and will buy new things if i think they can bring new things to the table for me.
A thing i ALWAYS missed about NanoStudio was some good "official" tutorials and a more present person behind the thing. As a customer these things are important for me. Especially to get people started on it.

However, good luck to Dr. Blip!

Slam-Cut

How much more present is present enough? I've been delighted to interact with Matt on this forum and via email. I've never had that with any other software or app. Still, it might be fun to hang out with Matt and chat about NS features over a few pints at the pub. Maybe that will be an option for NS2...? Pub Chat customer service package. Like the sound of that.

Major Lee

Hi Tom,

Thanks for this explanation. Formula is no longer magic, but funny now!