RE: Truncation - Anyone running AltiSpace/AudioShare on better than an iPhone 4S?

5 replies [Last post]
ElectricWombat

Hi dudes/dude'ttes :p as part of my ongoing misfortunate saga to locate an endless stream of IOS related things that don't work properly, I just wondered if anyone is using both AudioShare and AltiSpace on anything better than an iPhone 4S? The reason being that I discovered if I try to AltiSpace FX process a sample (offline) in AudioShare (using the little bolt icon on the wave player screen) it completely destroys the 1st few seconds of the sample!

Awesome if you like glitch music, and un-awesome for anything else unfortunately! As I purchased both of these items to be able to do this, it's a bit of a downer - but I just wondered if it's a 64 bit processing issue (i.e. say it's expecting a 64 bit word length and subsequently truncates it as its running on a 32 bit platform instead)?

It could just be a general AudioShare (or AltiSpace) related bug; but before I contact any dev's about it I thought it a good idea to ask if anyone else has experienced this problem here? I discovered that it doesn't do it if I use 'Bias' for IAA FX processing instead; but I know AltiSpace is processor intensive and aimed at 64 bit platforms - so it might just be because of that? Naturally, any help is much appreciated regardless! :)

ElectricWombat

[Prologue]

(Fade from Black)

Camera pans across an empty silent desert basin...

...the distant sound of a crow interupts the faint whistle of the wind...

...a tumble weed rolls across the field of view out of sight...

Cpu Red

My guess would be a bug on the side of altispace. Audioshare has been hands down the most solid and reliable audio app Ive had on my iPad. The thing is so useful and rock solid. It wouldn't hurt to contact both developers.

ElectricWombat

@CPU_Red, thanks for your reply! Yes I too have found AudioShare ultra stable in my experience (and the same can be said for AltiSpace) as they're both very good coders! I seem to remember stumbling across an AudioShare review which echoed this issue (somewhere on the App Store previously) although I'm unsure if they were referring to AltiSpace or another IAA FX app! However, as there is over 100 positive reviews for AudioShare; I was unable to relocate it - so I just gave up trying to track it down in the end! But you're right, it makes sense just to make both developers aware of it in order to try and get to the source of this issue.

I just hoped that considering the general 'app junkie' nature of most IOS musicians; someone here might be able to test this on a more powerful platform - as I'm starting to realise now that it's somewhat of a nightmare using an iPhone 4S with up to date everything else! It runs, no crashes etc - but glitches like this are becoming a familiar barrier to creativity. I'm definately going to shift to a recent platform at some stage, but for the moment it's gonna have to wait sadly. In the mean time, I'll contact the developers and see what they say! :)

Cpu Red

I'm not surprised. Reverbs tend to be pretty resource heavy from what I understand. Altispace looks cool. I think I might pick it up.

ElectricWombat

It's wonderfully lush (being convolution based) and features lots of HQ IR's and the ability to import your own IR samples. Thus it's the best on IOS from what I understand (and universal too)! There is also a highly respected convolution based Reverb plugin for Auria but as I don't use Auria - I can't comment on that! Unfortunately you just missed a 50% sale - but with Easter coming in 2 weeks; I'm hoping there will be massive sales everywhere (Wooji Juice included *wink*) so that might be a good time to grab it! :)