NanoStudio gets an appearance in an Apple film

21 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

With Riton, Elliphant and The Gaslamp Killer ...

This sounds a bit like the resampled metronome but can't be sure ...

instinctive

Wow, that's amazing and about time! Congratulations!

dendy

Great !!!

btw. terrible music, almost lost my ears :-)))

Jeppan74

@Blip: it's because it's the best app making music on ;)
Just out of curiosity: Do you get a heads up from apple when NS is featured like this? So you can plan some marketing around the buzz it makes?

Flushls

To quote the great philosopher Comicus.
"GROOVUS!"

Blip Interactive

Yes they contacted me a few days ago to get approval and ask if I'd help publicize it through my 'channels', but I didn't know much about it until I actually saw it upon its release.

This is me publicizing through my channels.

instinctive

Now, this is your chance to become a good Cupertino citizen and stop complaining about iOS all the time! ;)

Slam-Cut

By 'Apple Film' I guess that means this is one of their adverts for TV/Internet? For the main stream exposure, that's cool.
I am just a tad bit concerned that Apple is just now pushing music (other than their own GarageBand crap). I hope there have been other ads that I have missed...? Maybe next they can put out an add featuring Alchemy. Way to stay on the cutting edge Apple!
What a jaded cynic I am! :o)

iammane

Lol I'm not sure what I just watched but cool to see the app in action and at least getting a nod from Apple :)

That Gaslamp guy is kind of scary, gonna go have nightmares now kbye

Blip Interactive

Yeah I think it's fair to say 'film' in this context is closer to 'ad' in the language most other people would use, but I believe it was made to be put out during the Grammy awards on TV.

I was surprised to hear from them because, as you say, NanoStudio isn't the most cutting edge app these days, but I suppose the point is that it is one of the apps the musicians used.

syrupcore

That's sweet. Wonder if they had an alternate cut ready had you declined to promote it via your channels.

Slam-Cut

Grammy's Ad time is a sweat bit of exposure for NS.

No, NS isn't on the cutting edge of what is 'new', but it certainly is still one of the best ways to create music on iOS (THE best for me). So I can see why the app was used in the Ad, just a bit surprised that Apple wouldn't use a band that featured something newer and bigger like Auria. I am reminded of the Behringer Mixer app in an ad a couple years back. The wireless mixing feature seemed pretty cutting edge then.
Perhaps is was just the fact that the band seemed to create the song mostly with just NS all 'in-the-box", that made the story of the ad clearer. It could be confusing to the public to show a half dozen or more apps working to create a song.
I'd love to see a dozen apps working with NS in and ad...

tom_tm

What Instictive said... ;-)

Apart from that, congrats! :)

syrupcore

I don't think it really had to do with Apple wanting to promote specific apps. Like Matt said, I think it's featured as a consequence of the artists involved having used NanoStudio in the actual production. Which goes to what SlamCut said: modern whizbang or not, it's still a great app for actually producing music.

Do we know if aired during the Grammys? Matt, have you seen a bump at all?

AyoMartins

-.-'

When i saw the yellow star on the 'Announcements' folder

i was expecting something along these lines;

'NanoStudio V2.0 is now available on the appstore'

-.-'

Don't understand why its still not out yet

Fer cryin' out loud its 2015!

Geez!

AyoMartins

Btw, congrats Matt..

Had to vent..

lagares

Hey Matt, I was just thinking that you underestimate yourself, and then read this just to confirm it !!.....

while you say "NanoStudio isn't the most cutting edge app these days"

I almost have all the ipad apps, the latest and greatest, and none of them, NONE, had the great workflow of Nanostudio....

the Korg gadget, while sounds great, is painful to work with, the buttons are to small, you get lost a lot, and the overall interaction is not great...

on the other hand I always go back to NanoStudio, because is so easy and intuitive, that makes making music FUN !!!!

I'm a software engineer myself, so like you, I tend to undersell my stuff...

don't do that, because NS is the best out there, still after many years !!

hope to see NS 2 come out of your hard drive this year !!

Flushls

Yes after 4 years one of my main music apps

Slam-Cut

Hmm. I don't think Mr Blip was underselling NS. It just seems a bit odd that Apple used a group that was using NS. Apple could have picked a group that used Garage Band (they tend to be self-serving like that), or Gadget (that's new and trendy), or maybe Auria (which is impressively familiar to pro users. However, maybe I underestimate Apple. Maybe they see now what an amazing workflow that NS has and they want to highlight that. That's unlikely, but it's a nice little story and I think I'll stick with that one, ...for a few days.

Stiksi

Apple's marketing department chose an up-and-coming band that they think will be big in a while and fits the popular image they are trying to create. And work with some iOS gear, of course. They don't care what apps the band uses because they are advertising hardware, not software and the SW is shown in shots that last a couple frames each. Not enough to identify specific apps except by people who use the apps every day. I think you shouldn't read too much into this.

But when they add NS into the DAW category in their featured apps section, you can be sure they've already canceled Garageband.

Edit: Just noticed Nanostudio got into the url. That's cool, considering it's not featured any more than all the other apps.

syrupcore

Seriously, when NS2 finally lands, I demand a on the forum. We're busy people, that'll help.

Slam-Cut

Yeah! And can you make one of those nifty buttons "what syrupcore said"?
Thanks