please help! recover changes after phone dies?

13 replies [Last post]
jimdw

i was working on something really intently and i was so into it i ignored the messages about my battery fading and didn't even think to stop and save the file. my phone died and i lost a ton of changes the file i was working on.

is there any way to recover those? any chance they are in a temp file somewhere?

i know this is a longshot and it was stupid of me not to stop for a minute. it was really coming together...hence why i really don't want to lose those changes...i don't know if i could recreate the magic....

thanks for any ideas...other than to not be so stupid next time. that lesson is learned.

jim

iphone 5, ios 7.1.2 with current version of nanostudio; mac 0sx 10.6.8

Slam-Cut

That's a tough one.

I assume that once you plugged the iPhone in, NS wasn't open and when you opened NS up it didn't ask you if you wanted to load the Auto Save? Auto Save is the only user tool to retrieve those changes, at least that I am aware of. I suppose this is really a question for Matt. How much power is required for Auto Save to work? I would guess that if the phone doesn't have the power to operate, that NS can't either. It looks like you might just be screwed.

One of my favorite set ups with my 4s was to use NS with the Akai SS25 plugged into a wall socket so that the iPhone would be charging. I haven't found a similar thing for lighening plugs yet.

jimdw

yeah, unfortunately when the phone powered up NS was not on and when i launched NS there was no offer to load auto-saved information. in fact it didn't seem to have written anything to an autosave file during that whole session. i say this b/c i had been working for a few hours and all those changes were lost.

usually i'm good at saving things as i work....

i spent a few hours trying to recreate the track, salvaging some parts...but i can't recall or recreate the nuances and the feel is not quite the same.

i did a save as with a new file name in case there's still a file i may be able to access that would somehow have a snapshot of the state of that project at the time the phone died...

j

Slam-Cut

Have you tried looking at the iPhone with something like iFunbox (free app) on your computer? You can look at your iPhone like a hardrive to see what is in the projects file. It is remotely possible that there is something there that NS isn't seeing. That's what I would try.

I think NS only does an autosave when you shut down the app without saving or possibly when you recieve a call (I keep forgetting that these things can be used as phones...). I highly doubt that it can autosave when the power shuts off. It may be too late to do anything to help you, but I hope that everyone reading this will learn from it. I prefer to plug in a power chord on long sessions or use a back-up battery (one of the best things I got for my first iPhone).

PS: for what it's worth. The battery on the 6+ seems to last a whole lot longer than previous iPhones I had.

Harisonzamperla

Wish the irig pro keyboard let you also charge. Sucks to have to run your iPhone 6plus to 20% and them wait for it to charge again. Ik multimedia is kind of a soulless entity tho. All their software is unnecessarily expensive and I intuit their hardware wasn't designed by people who actually make ios music.

Slam-Cut

I agree with the aforementioned comments.

ElectricWombat

@HarisonZamperla, I totally agree dude - I absolutely hate 'IK multimedia' with passion and would love to see them go into liquidation! They really are the most disgraceful soulless corporate bloodsuckers to walk the face of the earth - example:

Their interfaces that used to provide USB plug in power have instead recently been updated to not do so any more - so that they can now instead charge you a further extortionate amount to buy an additional separate power source (naturally they were just thinking of us) - I hate them! :(

Slam-Cut

Speaking of companies going into liquidation, has anyone heard anything new from Camel Audio? Last I heard they were working on a way for us to save our iOS purchases to hard drive so we can back up/re-install as needed. This was previously set up for the desktop version, but not iOS, at least not when I last checked. I've been overwhelmingly busy lately and haven't got time to check into it more for another week or so. Just curious if anyone has heard anything. It's really sad that they've gone under.

Blip Interactive

Bought by Apple.

syrupcore

So, two years before we get to see any of the camel tech in apple apps and I fear it'll be gutted.

Stiksi

Well, at least gutting a camel into a makeshift tent will get you through one night in a frozen tundra. Is this actually true? I've seen a lot of speculation, but no evidence so far… (Both about the tauntauns and Apple-scented camels)

Really not looking forward to Garage Alchemy Band. I wish Apple would just focus a little bit and cut off all the useless bottom-tier apps they keep peddling.

ElectricWombat

It's true, (according to Mac Rumours) but the only evidence is Apple's Lawyer now being registered at company house as the official head of the company, and Apples UK business address subsequently being the new official company headquarters.

I think it's surrounded in speculation because Apple (aside from mentioning that they sometimes acquire technologies from time to time) provided no information on their intentions for the software (or its associated technologies). However as you know, they are a secretive organisation!

It's likely to be absorbed into 'Logic Pro X' though (you would imagine) in the form of additional plug-in VST/VSTi's. I'm not a user, but I can appreciate its harsh when some of your paid software is suddenly discontinued and essentially ceases to exist! :0

Slam-Cut

Yeah, it is harsh. Alchemy was one of my main apps and I was looking forward to getting the desktop version. Now I'm not sure when an iOS update will knock out the Alchemy app. There was talk of letting customers download versions of the sound banks to hard drives so we could re-install without restoring our purchases from Camel. I hope that happens, but I'm starting to doubt it. I hate to try an upgrade to 8.3 for fear of what might happen. Thanks Apple, for making life difficult for Camel's customers.

ElectricWombat

@Slam-Cut, yeh it's a complex situation and I hope some resolution presents itself; but it doesn't look good either (unless the provision to help existing customers formed an integral part of the take over agreement) but only Camel and Apple know the outcome and unfortunately the entire affair is seemingly enshrouded in secrecy. IOS 8.3 seems fine so far, I've even experienced a mild isolated bump in performance; although the auto correct spelling thingy is still the bane of my existence and appears here to stay - lol.