Android 5.0 Lollipop

31 replies [Last post]
aleon909

Alright kids. It's that time again. Another version of android os is upon us, and while we know that audio improvements are promised every year; it seems that this time they may very well have done it. It appears that the infamous audio latency has been solved, "or at least reduced by a significant amount".

Some developers are already getting aboard the android train, "or at least testing it out". iRig, Mixvibes, Cross DJ.

The question is the same one as always. Is there any possibility of Nanostudio making the migration to Android this time?

Now before anyone replies. Lets keep some things in mind.

I didn't ask if ios is superior to android, I didn't ask why you don't like android, and I certainly am not asking for a flame war.

I simply would like to know if the improvements that the android development team are claiming they have made with lollipop are real and enough to resolve the issues faced with porting nanostudio to android.

Peace to all of you and thanks for your time.

iammane

This only rings true for Samsung devices right?

Still pretty cool, options are always nice to have...

aleon909

No the Samsung fix was announced before the release of android 5.0. It's assumed both development teams used the same solution. Part of the list of things that were listed as new or fixed in 5.0 by the google team was the audio latency. This has been tested by various third parties and so far from what have been following, the news is optimistic.

Stiksi

Aleon, there are no fanboys here you're pretty safe.

I seem to remember that Blip said there were also some problems with the dev tools. Personally, I think the problem is more Android's image as a poor audio production platform, which needs to change for it to be a viable market for Nanostudio. Music enthusiasts don't really use Android devices yet. Being the first in a market is only good if you manage to stay ahead of the competition when the market explodes. Otherwise, you're paving the way and the big boys get the reward.

I would love to see an Android version of Nanostudio, but I would also love for it to be Nanostudio 2 so there's no additional delay (I'm not sure if that's a pun… if it is, it was totally intended and not accidental at all).

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

IOS was a great platform, yes. But with all the iOS and third developers bugs within iOS 8 and still in iOS 8.1. it's pretty useless. There is no further improvement for me since years. They even make some steps back when it comes to music production on iOS devices like no more sonoma pasteboard, still a pain to share and access files and a lot more issues. No "real" advantage for bigger screens (so a rumored iPad pro with this current iOS would be useless for me too). Most apps are working fine in stand alone mode, yep.... but that means i'm there with iOS where i started 4 years ago. I have more RAM and much faster CPU but that is not enough evolution.

Even ThumbJam (one of the greatest apps ever created) will be on Android soon. When there was ever a time to start on Android, it's now. I'm really getting tired (again) from iOS and Apple. (That said, i love my Macbook). We have Audiobus, Tabletop, IAA..... all like in there own Eco system..... it's gone more complicated for me on iOS than on a complex Logic Pro X and that shouldn't be. So if i just can use apps stand alone and i'm back on iOS where i started 4 years ago..... i could do the same on Android. I give a shit about the brand. I just want to use the software i need without too much restrictions and bugs.

I was one of the more euphoric people when it comes to iOS music productions and i thought it's the future in the begining but there is a reason why it changed. Maybe in a few month most problems will be solved again but then iOS 9 is knocking on the door....

dendy

definitely agree with galaxyexplorer... i'm now not able to seriously produce on ipad, thinking about going back to osx/logic... BM2 is useless on ios8, all other "daws" are lacking too much for me important funcionalities.. it's really sad..

hope NS2 will get me back ...

@dendy: This.... i tryed to work around these issues but now i am not able to put a proper track together. I still love using a touch screen but for now i totally left iOS for music production. Even the integration into Logic is a mess for me. Now i feel i wasted a ton of bugs for apps that i can't use like i want. Funny is.... NanoStudio (and a few others) works great like the first day and i even can use it on my Mac.... how great is that ;)

dendy

yes.. old good nanostudio is simply still most solid and stable daw on ios.. even after those years nobody was able to deliver such streamline workflow, stability and user experience.. looks, thre is only one real competitor for Blip Interactive - it is Matt Borstel :-))))

Stiksi

Ok, now I have to be a bore and remind people, that with every new OS version, there will be showstopper bugs. 6 had them, 7 had loads of them and 8 has them. I have a rule that has not failed me yet. I never EVER update my system to an OS that is less than 6 months old. At the very least it has to have two point updates under its belt.

It's difficult to resist the lure of new features, but whenever I get the itch, I just browse a few threads on any tech, audio or digital painting forums and after that, there is definitely no more itching.

iOS 7 is finally at what it should be. It's stable, relatively bugless and an excellent production platform. In about 5-6 months (Apple will be slow because they are coming out with so many new things, like watches and wallets) iOS 8 will be stable and relatively bugless. And probably better than 7 ever was.

I'm pretty sure Android has bugs too. From what I hear from friends, Google goes through the same loop I just described for Apple. There is no such thing as a tech company who delivers what they promise. They deliver what they promised 6 months ago.

tom_tm

^^^ What Stiksi said. And is the sole reason I'm still on iOS 7.

I don't mean to gloat, and I apologise in advance if this upsets anyone, but it has been said time and time again, DON'T update to the latest OS until all bugs have been ironed out as much as it is possible. However, people always seem to ignore this advice, update anyway, then just moan. If you've just purchased/upgraded to the latest iPhone/iPad from Apple and it has iOS 8 already installed, again this is hardly Apple's fault. It's your money. You have the power *not* to spend it?!

If i could i would go back to iOS 6..... but i can't. Apple has an "agressive" upgrade path on iOS and no way back. Then there is no apologize for me when they deliver such a beta software. I know there are always bugs but iOS 8 is a very special thing. Well, at least i will wait next time before upgrade to iOS 9 :) Hey, but they said it's the most advanced mobile os in the world.... did they lie to me? :D

Stiksi

I actually do think it's Apple's fault, they make the promise (of an OS that works) they have no intention of keeping, in that I agree with Galaxyexplorer. But it's the same with every company so basically they are all equally disappointing. Too many people will buy the first one out of the bag with the new features. Not enough people demand stability and reliability.

Also, I disagree with Galaxyexplorer about iOS 8 being especially buggy. I seem to remember there being the exact same kind of talk about iOS 7, and because it was a bigger update, it broke all kinds of really fundamental stuff especially on the older devices. You really can't compare a mature OS to a .1 release.

Also, Galaxyexplorer, you have an aggressive upgrade path, Apple just can't match your pace. I agree that Apple should allow downgrading to an earlier OS, disallowing downgrades is a vicious tactic to hamstring perfectly working devices that are only a couple generations old. It works, people will buy newer devices but the practise really erodes my trust in Apple as a service provider. I will never pay Apple for any cloud service. It could be canceled at any time with little regard to my commitment to the system. Not so with standalone service providers, they live or die by their service.

dendy

i was big fan of apple.. but i'm not anymore... "thanks" to Cook's way of management this company is going down (at least for me) in both hw and sw segment... okay, at the end they still make big money, so majority of customers is possibly satosfied, but i'm simply NOT... it is differend (worst) company that it was with steve...

tom_tm

I don't know if I completely agree (and I'm not siding with Apple either, because I think in recent years they've run out of steam- at least in the R&D/Innovating sector). I would say that Apple, and going on reports coming in that no major issues have been found when it comes to music software and their latest OSX, Yosemite. But it is often argued by many that iOS really isn't a serious music platform, and therefore, and because many features of iOS have been sort of sideways 'hacks'- notably by people like the developers of Audiobus. Apple knowing that iOS isn't really a serious platform for music, I imagine haven't prioritised its audio capabilities. I'm sure though they will come, but priority will be going to stuff like iTunes, web-based stuff and 'all-in-one' apps, because after all a phone is a phone, and an iPad is simply a glorified netbook. Apple, being market-driven, as most multi-national companies are, will want any 'serious' musicians to buy their Mac's for any serious work.

instinctive

Not anymore if they made a "serious" Logic for iPad, and priced it "seriously" :)

First they have to make a "serious" Garage Band for iOS....then in 2017 maybe Logic Light ;) I really like Logic Pro X a lot and OS X Yosemite works fine so far (yeah, i updated straight away ;).
I would not say iOS is not a serious platform. In some years i think all major DAW's will have their little iOS childs. Cross plattform is the way to go!

Edit: I still miss "full" versions. The specs are there but where are the desktop class apps?

tom_tm

Just for the record Galaxy, I updated to Mavericks, about a week after Yosemite was released! I suppose that's a fair indicator about just how much 'I know' Apple?! ;)

....And yes, still on Mavericks. Haha!

The main reason to early update was the Airdrop sharing for me between iPad/iPhone and Mac..... sadly it will not work with my iPad Air (my all time problem child ;). Sharing between iPhone 5 and Macbook works great. My Macbook and iPhone are a good team..... the iPad Air..... damn i resell this thing very soon and will be tablet free again. This one year with iPad was a bad trip. I miss my iPhone only time :D

syrupcore

For the record, if you buy a new device 'waiting to upgrade your OS' isn't possible.

aleon909

Soo..I guess not? :(

Stiksi

I would say "not yet". Don't lose hope – when Android is ready, I think Blip will be too.

I don't expect him to be the first out of the gate, though. Being the first out of the gate is the reason we're now waiting for a 2.0 version like a pack of starving dogs, instead of having a 1.8 or 1.9 with full midi support and audio tracks.

Blip Interactive

Er did I reply to this? Thought I had - must be getting old! Still reading mixed reports about Android audio, but haven't seen a headline along the lines of 'Android 5.0 sorts all latency problems for good'. Samsung have brought out a 'professional audio SDK' which works on certain devices. Seems it started life as a hobby project for one of their engineers which is good an'll, but would scare me to early-adopt because I see the landscape rapidly changing and having to play catch-up (iOS MIDI was a bit like this, when it started out as custom accessories).

I'm still developing with other platforms in mind, but the main approach would be to concentrate efforts on iOS and then see how much of a mess Android still is/isn't once the dust has settled.

pquenin

I understand that, but if the Samsung solution is good, and Samsung is 65% of the Android market, it's something that must be considered in the future...

Blip Interactive

I don't know much about Samsung/Android market share, but I believe that their SDK only works with a few of their devices.

The bigger problem is that right now there's only their ad-hoc solution, and I've been caught out before with these third party libraries. They break as soon as you turn your back and need a lot of effort to keep them working as the hardware, software and OS evolve. I'd prefer to see it done properly before I put in some serious energy.

My answer would be different if iOS didn't exist, but iOS is still by far the most important mobile audio platform and with my one-person limited resources it's deservedly getting my priority.

pquenin

Yes, I know, so take your time.
Time flies so I think all Samsung Android devices will include their audio solution sooner or later.
Wait and see...

aleon909

Thanks for replying to my question blip. I know it must get annoying to hear the same question asked over and over again. I wouldn't ask if i didn't have a strong appreciation for the application you have developed. I continue to hold on to my 3rd gen iPad solely for this app. Keep us updated on any breakthroughs with android in the future!

Please forgive me to post this here.... but this sounds just too good to be true.....
However, things might be change this year. If iOS is going this way (iOS 8.x...).... It will be more interesting!

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=5235

iammane

At the very least competition spurs creativity so I really do hope Android gets some kind of solution. Mobile music as a whole is what's most important, whether a tablet, a phone, iOS or Android.

Besides, this might be enough of a push for me to justify picking up a Shield tablet :D

tom_tm

Sounds like great news... except one problem... Having switched to Android, does this mean I must now re-buy all my favourite apps all over again, or worse still, wait for all my favourite apps to be ported to Android? It certainly has been a ride waiting for all these great apps to slowly appear over all these years, but I certainly don't wish to wait all over again, especially seeing that dealing with something as annoying as the tablet OS is given a new, but essentially very similar breath of new life. It has been quite liberating going back to using Logic on a Mac for eg. I'm sure that kind of power may be possible on a tablet, it's just that after all these years I'm still not entirely convinced I'm seeing it yet.

@tom_tm: Yes, the same here but since iOS 8 and other major trouble i didn't spend a dollar on an iOS app and i will not do it since iOS is a bit of a "bitch" and made a lot of my apps useless or took of the fun to use it. Also these days i migrated to "non" mobile solution. It will be a great add on for sure.

Of course i will buy NanoStudio 2 whenever and for whatever it comes out ;)

After months of iOS 8 it's still a joke!

tom_tm

I wouldn't know about iOS 8, as I'm still on 7! Haha!