Dubstep tones ala gadget

16 replies [Last post]
iammane

So, I'm on lunch. I'm super bored. Playing with the Miami synth in Gadget, and man, I hate having two devices, I hate stupid Gadget's sequencer, and I hate missing phone calls cause I am using headphones on the iPad (first world problem alert!!!)

ANYWAY, I put together some BS thing in Gadget, and I'm thinking to myself after looking at the controls on the Miami Gadget "this is so simple, why can't NS do this?"

After about ten minutes of playing with settings I've come up with a patch that sounds pretty similar to some settings on Gadget's Miami. See below:

Osc A - Square (or saw seem to work best)
Osc B - OFF

Filter - LP
Cutoff - 0
Q - .40 (not sure if that matters much)

Filter envelope - amount all the way down, release all the way down

Lfo 1 - saw down, or up, square, whatever... Those seem to work well. Delay is set to 0, amount on full, rate you will adjust. It is synced to tempo.

Lfo routing - Lfo 1 to filter, cutoff, 100

Here seems to be the trick... 5th planet turned on... Set to lofi.. Bitcrush = 0, contour to your liking, decimate should be between .40 and .65.

FIN.

I think what I didn't realize was that you don't want decimate values outside those number, the higher the decimate the throatier the 'wub' becomes but if you go too high or low the wub is lost.

There are probably a million ways to tweak and improve this. Just wanted to share in case people needed a starting point, also, because Nanostudio still after all these years is still the shit.

Cannot WAIT for ns2 man....

QbAnYtO

Video??

Slam-Cut

Thanks iammane! That is a good starting point.
I loose the pitch and can't really easily distinguish the notes. There is a sub-bass, but I think that would easily get lost in a mix. I messed around with it a bit and couldn't find a way to get a clearer pitch to the notes. Is that part of the idea? Just rhythmic sound FX and not a 'played' bass? I'm sure that I am missing something...

syrupcore

Think most dubstep basslines (I don't really listen to much) are long single notes held for a measure or more to allow time for the wub wub wub to wub wub wub.

Jeppan74

Thanks for the instructions bro!!! Can you upload a picture of the settings?
I got some help to make a Reece-ish bass in Eden. Looks like this:
http://imgur.com/0WjeD3K
Sounds great actually. Made the drum n bass part with it on this:
https://soundcloud.com/jesperjones/diz-iz-why-im-hot

iammane

Friggin so, I can't post audio example yet it's processing still... I had to jam together all the screens from my iphone.

http://imgur.com/MOOqIcJ

@Slam-Cut - Yeah it's pretty rough, I was just so excited to get the 'YOI YOI' sound haha... I guess I was more interested in why, I guess it has to do with the filter ramping up or down when there is some decimation going on (but not too little, or too much, the sweet spot is 40-65% it looks like). I'm not even sure what this sounds like using higher pitched notes lol, I didn't try...

@syrupcore - Yes and no. I don't listen to a ton of dubstep either, sometimes it's a bunch of staccato notes, sometimes they do run a whole measure. I guess it depends on how crazy the modulation is.

syrupcore

@iammane sorry, that was for slam-cut. I haven't tried your recipe yet but could imagine how it might not be a playable bass sound. Threw that out there (but probably should have listened/tried it first!).

iammane

No worries- I tried the higher registers it is NOT a playable bass sound haha. It is just a super aggressive BOB WOB WOB :))) it's not my usual cup of tea but I just had to know if NS could handle it and it does admirably, as usual

That Reece patch is cool, I dropped the second OSC a seventh and then it got a Prodigy vibe... Now I gotta go listen to some Prodigy lol....

iammane

http://soundcloud.com/topiarymusic/dubstepeden?utm_source=soundcloud&utm...

Trying to post this on the phone hopefully it works ok. Just to give an idea haha.

Crossing my fingers for NS2 next year but NS1 is still the best...

dendy

great that i'm not only one who hate gadget's stupid sequencer !! :-)

iammane

@dendy yeah I just can't get on with the sequencer.. I've tried like ten times or so over the last few months. it's slightly easier to use than a tracker (I realllllly wish I could wrap my head around Sunvox, but it is what it is)

syrupcore

What is it that you guys don't like about gadget's sequencer?

dendy

syrupcore: near to impossible to construct more complex track with lot of automation and variations .. it's really gdod just for techno-like tracks with minimum details, with just switching patterns and turning on/off channels :-/

iammane

Yeah agreed. I have no issues with programming drums and such on it... it just bring me back to the old days of FruityLoops with no piano roll. I cringe a little :( it's too bad because I LOVE the way it sounds, it's gotta be one of the best sounding apps I've got that's not sample based

Jeppan74

@iammane: Thanks for the pic!! Will def try it out!!
I use Gadget a lot, but usually I make a synth loop in say "miami" and audiocopy it to Nanostudio.

iammane

Yeah I thought about doing that too Jeppan, just to use it to suck sounds out of, but since I do the bulk of music work on my phone and hate carrying around two devices, I guess I just need to do without. Unless somehow, at some point in time, we get a universal version. I'd even just settle for the ability to play them as instruments via Audiobus or IAA...

Slam-Cut

@iammane: no need to carry around two devices. Make sample loops on your iPad and then load those into your iPhone for later use.
I'm pretty sure that MIDI out in NS2 will solve the problem of how to use apps like this. Audio tracks will be the frosting on top.