Ns2 support for ns1 .nsp files?

48 replies [Last post]
QbAnYtO

I know there's barely any info on ns2 (i cant find any anyways) and it's been 4 years and still no update but does anyone know if it will support nsp files from the current app? Would suck to redo everything lol

Blip Interactive

It was originally my plan to try and support NS1 project in the future NS2, but it became increasingly restrictive. Instead, I think that the route for working on legacy projects will be to import them as audio tracks.

instinctive

While full sonic compatibity is not necessary, would it at least be possible to import the bare track metadata (parts, MIDI events), so that you at least have the arrangement?

Blip Interactive

That can be done with a MIDI file, if native support isn't available.

instinctive

Not sure if MIDI files preserve the actual parts (their boundaries), and patterns (clones)? If not, then arranging would become quite hard once transmitted through MIDI.

But anyway, it's probably not that much of a priority, just a thought.

Blip Interactive

Yes, my answer was carefully worded to suggest that there would be some sort of way to do it, even if I don't get the time to do it the 'ideal' way :)

Unfortunately backwards support takes time away from developing new things, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Slam-Cut

-1 for backwards compatibility if that takes away from other things.

I am hoping that NS2 will be able to sync with NS1 in a master-slave relationship, so that the two play really nicely together. That would make it unnecessary for .nsp files to be compatible. Is that a possibility or am I way off?

QbAnYtO

Ah ok. I Read all responses. Awesome. Well using midi should work fine. Eitherway what about patches? Bank patches? Will we be able to use nano sync to copy over the folders of our banks patches and stuff?

syrupcore

That's the question. I've sampled up and created from scratch a collection of sounds I'd love to be able to use in NS2.

Blip Interactive

Samples (wavs) will obviously transfer without problem. NS1 TRG banks will very likely be supported - they're fairly simple. Eden patches, unlikely.

instinctive

Hmmm, so no plans to "simply" (I know, you hate that word ;)) offer the plain old "Eden 1" as-is in NS2? Just alongside whatever new synth(s) is/are coming...

Slam-Cut

Why bother? We already have NS1. With MIDI out in NS2, we can still use Eden.
At least that is the way I see it. Hoping this means a super awesome new synth/sampler in NS2...

QbAnYtO

Ns2 will have midi out?! What about in? And sync?

dendy

Slam-Cut: Regarding synth/sampler in NS2, didn't you read what matt wrote long time ago in some thread ? He worked 6 months on synth/sampler in NS2 and at other place he confirmed that also oscillators ans filters will be improved... i expect it will be pretty cool :-)

QbAnYtO

Wonder what will he name it. Eden2? Or Adam?

Slam-Cut

Yes, I do remember those clues, and I am hoping they point to a really terriffic new Synth/Sampler, that is also reasonably easy to use. I have a ton of synth apps that I have wanted to use but I look at them and think WTF? Too difficult. I'm sure most of the problem is my lack of experience. I will keep my fingers crossed that the new synth in NS2 will be awesome sounding but not too complex that I can't figure it out short of locking myself in a room for 3 months.

I've wondered about a name for the new synth. Matt should have a contest to come up with a good name. Hadn't been a contest around here for years... If a Biblical theme is maintained, 'Heaven' would seem fitting, although 'Hell' would be great too, just likely to prompt criticism about how hellish it is to use. Pergatory? Hmm. Maybe Eden 2 is a pretty good suggestion.

NS already has MIDI In. Doubtless that will stay 'in' NS2.

syrupcore

Fig Leaf

Blip Interactive

It's funny, I was recently trying to think of a good themed collection for naming instruments etc. I think sub-atomic particles (quark, proton, gluon etc.) have already been done. Cakewalk did shapes. Korg have just done cities. NI have a 'k' where a 'c' would go in English.

Hmm, planets are a bit obvious. Gemstones? Rocks? Rivers?

syrupcore

I like the sound of you needing a theme!

Rivers is a very cool idea. Love me some rivers.

Mountains? Mathematicians? Muppets!

syrupcore

Though, sticking with Biblical does make it all sort of epic.

instinctive

Stick with pasta dishes. Who wouldn't want to fiddle around with presets in "Bolognese XT"?

iammane

We use Greek mythology names where I work... Thor is a scripting process (obviously that's taken already lol) and we have another automated process called Hebros. Anyway, makes it fun :)

With the announcement today I'm really looking forward to NS2 (though still thoroughly enjoying NS CLASSIC obviously ;)

QbAnYtO

My name is biblical (Lazarus)

How about two synths. Alpha (additive) and Omega (subtractive) lol

syrupcore

http://famous-mathematicians.org/ :)

Ada, Turing, Cantor, Boole, Pascal, Newton, Thales... All pretty good, eh?

Blip Interactive

I've already called my daughter Ada. Mainly because it was a nice name, but it also had programming/mathematical connections and it only required 5 minutes in the baby name book before I got to the 'B's :)

dendy

What about using names of fathers of quantum mechanics

Heisenberg , deBroglie, Planck, Geiger, Dirac, Pauli, Fermi, Schrodinger ... and synth should be TESLA! :-) ..

or generally also other big scientists not just QM guys:) http://phys.kent.edu/~manley/physicists.html

Or names of elements from periodic table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table#mediaviewer/File:Periodic_table_(polyatomic).svg .. lot of possible names :-)

kitejan

This sounds like the server naming game we have at work (I work in IT). On one domain we have villages of the Peak District (hope, buxton, edale, eyam, etc.). Which is nice except when driving through the Peak District you find yourself reminded of work ("hmm did I ever fix the backup issue on eyam?"). Another domain we put we actually managed to get the boss to agree to using carton characters. And even themed characters e.g. Domain controllers had to be begin with 'D' so we had Dangermouse and Daphne, file servers begin with 'F' such as 'Flanders'. The boss regretted this after a meeting where he had to explain the design to important people :-)

Jan

Blip Interactive

We used to have servers named after things you'd find in a pub : Jukebox, Barmaid and Fight are the ones I remember.

Quantum mechanics could be a good one. I wondered if periodic table elements was too obvious - not that it really matters!

Slam-Cut

It figures you guys would get to a bunch of guys I haven't heard of. Programmers....

Eden is/was a place name, and it certainly has a touch of epic mystery implied. Nothing wrong with Eden 2 or New Eden, but I do think that the name(s) should be something that evokes that sense of epic mystery for the average musician/person.

I'm drawing a blank, so I must be jaded and empty inside... :o)

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

I want a synth called "Elysium" and one "Tartarus"..... and maybe something for between called "Limbus". As long you don't call it Eden plus and just add only another OSC ;)

Stiksi

Well, after "Eden" came "Earth"…

But seriously, choosing a synth name for the cool factor would be a missed opportunity to make things easier for the newbie. You know, just make it "Wobblesynth" and "Boomgrid". Also make the EQ the "Phattener", the distortion the "Filthener", the reverb the "Intromachine" and Upload to Soundcloud the "Make Music Go" button.

See?

Also, this link has a profluvium of suitable words.

Ok, link hard to see, click the last words.