Make wav-file smaller?

7 replies [Last post]
Jeppan74

Hey!
This is sort of "of topic", but still about NS.
I´m doing a remix of a song, and I got the different stems in wav-format. But all of the stems are in the size around 40mb...
In NS you can only use wav-files that are up to 32mb :(
So my question is: Is there any way of making the the wav-file smaller (exept to make it mono) so I can get the stems in to Nanostudio?

syrupcore

Unfortunately, a wav is a wav and there's no making it smaller. Well, there are a few but none on iOS that I'm aware of. You could use another app like MTD or AudioShare to cut them all in half and then import them... one by one. Or use a computer and something like reaper or audacity and move them back to NS via NanoSync in bulk.

If you're doing a remix, you might consider it a creative exercise. Put them all in MultiTrack DAW or something and then just grab the bits you think you want to use in the remix and move them over. Then, you have a source app/file (all them stems in MTD) and your project in NS only has the parts you care about, allowing you to focus; you can always go back to MTD to mine more bits.

If you have BM2, you might start there so you can use the chop lab. If you go the desktop route, might as well combine the two methods—grab the bits you want to use and also slice them all into 3rds or 4ths or something so you can actually pull them into NS and grab more bits directly from within the app.

Sidebar: Consider putting the bits you know you want to use directly into the project folder and the source/stem files up in the root /Samples directory. Matt just explained in another thread that when you create an NSP of a project _all_ of the samples in the folder are included even if they're not in use. This way, you can back up your project with just the bits you actually use instead of 15 (or whatever) 40mb stem files. Then you can safely delete the /Samples/MyRemix folder and you project will still be intact. /2cents

@matt sidebar: would be handy for times like this if the wav editor allowed you to load any size file, even if NS only allows 32mb of a file to be played (truncating the version in ram).

Jeppan74

@syrupcore: Thanks for the great reply! I'm prob going to cut them up before importing them to NS. I have Audiocity on my PC (for you who don't know it it's a great free desk-top audio-tool). I use it a lot to make wav files from other compressed formats.
I also second the suggestion to be able to import big files into the editor, hence eliminating most of what I do in Audioshare.

tom_tm

Slightly OT, I love the fact that Nanostudio outputs Ogg files. Ogg's of course are far smaller in file size than Wav's (and sound just as good), and the great thing about not only NS producing Ogg's, is that Reaper also supports Ogg. I'm often shocked how bloatware such as Logic is just so damned huge and takes up so much hard drive space. Reaper on the other hand is just over 50mb's in size! So using the Mac/PC version of NS with Reaper makes so much more sense if one's laptop is on a diet.

Blip Interactive

Even the 64 bit installer for Reaper is just 9MB, damned impressive. Shows what's possible when your users don't expect pretty stylized pictures of guitars and pianos :)

Stiksi

Wait… those are coming in NS2, aren't they?

Darko

@ Jeppan74

I would suggest you to split them in mono - and pan them left and right; this way you will keep the stereo image and you will not introduce potential gaps with splitting if tempo/sync/events are not aligned properly. And you will keep same sampling+bit depth quality of the originals.

While we are at splitting wavs/audio, ideally, you should use wave editor with "zero crossing" option activated (called something along this lines in different apps) which will try to cut at samples that are zero in value (or ~ near zero). Then you may apply tiny amount of fade for couple of preceding/following samples to make it smooth/perfect (due multi channel difference, L ch may be at zero, while R ch is not, and this is in fact usually the case on the spot you'd like to cut).

Regards

Jeppan74

@Darko Ahhh! That´s a great idea! Thanks!!