Your go to synths?

21 replies [Last post]
Vanity_Vania

Besides Eden, I have found that Sunrizer has become my go to core synth, along with Thumbjam for classical instrument samples and Alchemy for the big choir samples mainly. Even though at first I dismissed Thor, I have learned to utilize it rather well. Only problem I hate how it lacks some for of native recording in app itself(I usually prefer audio copy/paste or general pasteboard vs setting audiobus). I use Animoog infrequently, but like it for super bass sounds.

However, I been looking at a few new apps(some have been out for a while) to add to my arsenal. Eventually I want to dabble in SunVox but have been interested in either Grain Science and Mitosynth. Also possible Z3ta+. Out of all these three synths. Which would you recommend? Any recommendations?

I currently own

Animoog
Nave
Thor
Magellan
NLog Pro
Sunrizer
Cassini
Imini

syrupcore

really depends on what you're looking for. What is it that your current list of synths doesn't deliver for you? Or are just looking for fresh sounds/inspiration? Do you like to program synths?

Vanity_Vania

Just looking around for a new toy to play around with ;)

Cpu Red

My go to synths are in this order: animoog, Thor, z3ta+. I use ipolysix for pads and chords and I use tc-11 for fx. once in awhile I use sunrizer and magellan. I also use the synths inside of korg gadget. Synths I own but never use and will probably delete are isem, imini, ims20 (these 3 I don't like the sound quality or interfaces) alchemy (crackles all the time when changing parameters) nave (sounds harsh and metallic) grainscience (sounds thin and wispy). Some synths I think sound cool but still don't use are nlog, tf7 and launch key. Hope this helps.

Vanity_Vania

I have had some work with ims20, absolutely not a fan. I am not too keen on the idea of using something like a touch screen in conjunction with the ipad architecture to emulate cable plugins for synthesis. I'm a knob guy myself, give me knobs....or something to touch. I don't want to emulate having to hook up yards of endless cables to make even the most simplistic of boring square frequency.

iPolysix is nice, had some time to demo it when it first came out, but for the overall value of the synth, I have found much better for a lot LOT less.

Vanity_Vania

I have had some work with ims20, absolutely not a fan. I am not too keen on the idea of using something like a touch screen in conjunction with the ipad architecture to emulate cable plugins for synthesis. I'm a knob guy myself, give me knobs....or something to touch. I don't want to emulate having to hook up yards of endless cables to make even the most simplistic of boring square frequency.

iPolysix is nice, had some time to demo it when it first came out, but for the overall value of the synth, I have found much better for a lot LOT less.

Lee B

I own most of the big ios synths and I still find Sunrizer hard to beat. Fantastic sound and for me it's very important to have oscillators, filters and envelopes on the same page, I can't stand switching back and forth. Eden still has a fantastic layout and still gets plenty of use, but has become a bit samey, stereo samples and new filter types would breath new life into it.
If only I could open up multiple instances of Sunrizer in Nano, that would be my ideal setup.

syrupcore

Samplr is pretty inspirational.

Voice Synth is capable of a lot more than autotune and vocoder. This song is almost entirely made of parts created by sending different DM1 rhythms into Voicesynth as the modulator and then tweaking its internal engine. https://soundcloud.com/syrupcore/voice-synth-rhythms

Magellan, which you already have, has a load of get out of jail free cards via its Randomize button. Cassini is bland to start but if you're a tweaker, there is magic to be created.

Sampling random iOS stuff into Eden is fun because once you have the source in there, you have all of the Eden synth stuff to go nuts with.

I think it's interesting that with all of the innovation within the synth space on iOS most people seem to say that Sunrizer is their go to synth. It's mine too. It definitely sounds great but I think Lee's point about all of it being on one screen is a big part of it.

My current favorite is iSem though. Sounds incredible, all on one page and I have always had a chub for classic Oberheim sounds.

Cpu Red

Yea I don't know. I wanted to like isem especially since I paid 10 or 15 bucks for it. Every single patch has this sort of high frequency fuzz going on. Same with imini. Imini has some killer bass but it just doesn't sound good to me. I like sunrizer and I'd like it a lot better if you could change every single parameter from a to b but the filters and the waveforms don't change when you morph from a to b. sunrizer is still pretty cool though. It does have its own sound and it's good quality.

Lee B

isem has a great layout and I like the sound too, though I find it annoying that the chord function doesn't save per patch. I really like imini too, it's as fat as you like, but if they were to implement Sunrizers mini sequence recorder with basic quantise, along with the record function where it starts recording on first key press (ideal for instantly capturing a long single note or sequence to copy into Eden), then they would get used just as much.
As you've probably gathered, I'm really not a fan of the Audiobus route into Nanostudio, so many great sounding synths rarely get used.

Vanity_Vania

I just purchases Addictive Sytnh....been looking into for about a year and it was on 50% off sale. Its not bad at all, seems to excell when it comes to ambient and trance styles, when it comes to what I have been messing around with. I also like how its not thin sounding, sometimes my main beef with Magellan. Like Magellan, I like the fact is has a randomized generator, especially when I'm having both severe writer's block compositional and engineering wise. It breaths a lot of inspiration to just "stumble" into a new preset or patch and tinker in a bit for something unique.

Might take a look at either Samplr or iSem. Seen a lot of positive about both.

Vanity_Vania

As for Sunrizer I can see why its popularity is what it is. Great layout, a bounty of decent factory presets, lots of online sound banks, one of the easier synths to program with and its immensely stable. I will even add that it sounds just as good if not better than a lot of expensive hardware that used to be on the market that was championed to be the IT thing to own for your music making needs. Its just that versitile. I bought it the same time I got Nave, and barely use Nave when I have Sunrizer to use.....just love that synth immensely.

dendy

iSem is definitely great synth.. i have HW SEMblance which this app emulates, but i'm thinking about selling it.. iSem is in many aspects better than HW

Galaxyexplorer (not verified)

There are great iOS synth for sure. At the moment i like Mitosynth most because of it's unique approach in iOS (and it's going better.... can't talk about it.....;).
Animoog is maybe the best iOS synth to show how expressive you can play with a touch screen. Add some better FX and you will get amazing pads and soundscapes. Sunrizer is the best sounding VA in the iOS world i would say. The phrase sequencer is nice and the arp is the only i know which can go behind 128 or even 256 steps including glide. It's not the best to program but it just can make fantastic sequences. Sunrizer is great for trance, spacy sounds and FX. It only lacks warm sounds. Yes, it can sound thick but not really warm compared to f.e. iSem, AddictiveSynth, Alchemy etc. In general Alchemy, Nave, CrystalSynthXT and WaveMapper (and WaveGenerator) has the best sound quality in my opinion but they are very hungry in CPU and RAM and so they are better used as stand alone synths. I like all the Virsyn synths. A lot default presets doesn't show what they can do but i love especially AddictiveSynth and CubeSynth. They can create such super low deep tones which creeps under your skin and they also have the best reverb from all iOS synths. I also must say that i did some of my best pads/soundscapes with Eden and the FX in NanoStudio. I wish just i could do all this with one super big synth in iOS ;)
My current iOS Top synths (it's all about creating own patches and sound design for me and how i can include them in my new workflow):

1.Mitosynth
2.Animoog
3.CubeSynth
4.AddictiveSynth
5.Nave
6.Sunrizer
7.MicroTera, Alchemy, iSem, Magellan, NLog, Z3TA+, Thor, WaveMapper and CrystalSynth
8....everything else...

The best non synth apps are ThumbJam and SampleTank!
Some synth are also available as VST/AU and i wish i could get this also as AU too: Sunrizer, Nave (maybe this will happen), Animoog and control them via the iPad apps. I experienced that is such an amazing workflow ;)

Slam-Cut

Most of my tracks feature Eden (either as synth or sample-preset) for the simple ease of pick a preset and play. I try to bring in some sounds from other apps to get a unique character - those apps have already been mentioned in this thread.
My Go To Synths are Alchemy, Sunrizer, and Nave. I have most of the other synths mentioned, and I find that they all have some sounds that can be useful. I look at any factory or custom preset/patch and wonder how to create a track that the preset would fit into. All presets (and the apps) could be useful in the right context. I fantasize about eventually using every preset I own in a track, but that is unlikely. With limited time for music, we all tend to favor certain synths.

"If only I could open up multiple instances of Sunrizer in Nano, that would be my ideal setup." - Lee B

Yeah that sounds cool. We're here because we love the workflow in NS. I hope NS2 will make it easier to use other apps in the workflow.

I take all synths/samples into NS, and I have started tagging the samples with abbreviations of the app. So the name of the sample looks like: SampleName C4 - S. S= Sunrizer, A=Alchemy, N=Nave, etc. so that if I go back to a WIP I can easily recall the original app and preset if I need more samples. Anyone else use a similar method or perhaps have a better idea to organize samples?

I ask me if iOS 8 will open up the sharing/connection options for music apps a bit more. I can't wait to get iOS 8 and OSX Yosemite because of the Airdrop connection which should make it easy to share audio and midi between iOS and OSX without cables. I hope Matt will include Airdrop! Audio Share can do it and it works like a charm (i think only iPhone5/iPad4 and above can use this). My sample management on iOS is out of control.... especially in BM2 with hundread of folders and sub- and sub-sub folders :O. I'm sure i could save at least 15GB if i had time to delete all my doubled samples ;)

syrupcore

> I take all synths/samples into NS, and I have started tagging the samples with abbreviations of the app. So the name of the sample looks like: SampleName C4 - S. S= Sunrizer, A=Alchemy, N=Nave, etc. so that if I go back to a WIP I can easily recall the original app and preset if I need more samples. Anyone else use a similar method or perhaps have a better idea to organize samples?

I do pretty much the same. I save the sound as "name - synth" and include the note of it isn't C4 (or tempo if it's a loop). I also save the patch in the source app with the same name.

Slam-Cut

Yeah I should have clarified that the SampleName I use is always the same as the Patch name. So you spell out the app name rather than abbreviate it?

I can hardly imagine how crazy Galaxyexplorer's sample library is. Didn't someone once mention an app that organizes samples on iOS? Wonder if that would help...

Too late for me to control my iOS sample library ;) Even more bad that i have a red line(s) trough my whole iPad Air display now. Seems my display failed now. F.....

Slam-Cut

Crap! That really sucks. Seems that you are on a streak of bad luck with iOS... :o/

My normal mondays :( Maybe another hint to leave iOS... Since my iPad is just 8 month old i will call the service and break up the hell on earth there ;). It's still usable but it looks not nice.
Funny, if i had to send my iPad to repair i must clean it up before.... then my sample trouble is solved. This world makes me sick :P

DoctorEden

The doctor is in...I love sunrizer with my ss25
Have argon thumbjam bebot addictive filatron figure ivoxel idrum Nlog isequence imachine RJDJ techno box improvox 50in1piano echochops sunxox NESynth bassline iamTPain beatmaker1&2 isyn ivoxel and NAnoStudio is King of course...although I feel Eden is my favorite I have to reluctantly say that other synths do sound fatter in the higher registers...no problem I love to sample into it and it kicks down low. i have been using these itouchs for forever an recently got a ss25 and a midi mobilizer which I hook up to my cz-101 Casio or my k1000 kurzweil I love able ton also but nanostudio really changed my life when I realized I to could make tracks...can't wait for NS-X take your time master Matt you are a phenomenal icon in thi ios music game wow thank you