New 808 bass sample pack from Platinum Audiolab - in NanoStudio format

5 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

How many tuned bass sounds can you get out of an 808 bass drum? One answer is, a lot more than I thought about an hour ago.

Platinum Audiolabs have been kind enough to release their latest pack in a NanoStudio compatible format, so I've had a play around with it and there are some fat low end basses in there. As well as some TRG banks there's also a demo project with 32 Eden bass patches.

Best bit : half price for NanoStudio users when you use the coupon code 'nanotuned808'.

Here's the link : http://www.platinumaudiolab.com/sample_libraries.php?type=order_impossib...

Happy trapping!

Cpu Red

The real question is do I need another 808 sample set? The idea of having them tuned for me and labeled with what note they are is really appealing. Right now I strictly use the goldbaby tape808 pack, they sound great and he tells you his recording chain and you can pick samples recorded digitally and to tape through quality gear. I wonder what they've used to record the samples with? When you use a sample you're really using the sound of the sample and everything it was recorded with.

Half off for NS users sounds awesome.

Are they labeled as per what note they are?

If they're tuning them straight from a modified real tr-808 then it seems the sound quality would be far superior to a digitally pitch shifted sample.

Anyone checked out the new Roland tr-8? Man I want that thing.

syrupcore

I'd be interested to know if they were tuned on the 808 vs after sampling as well.

I hadn't seen the TR-8. First impression was 'really? more X0X??' but I gotta say, there's some wow going on in there. A shame you can't record knob movements into patterns though!

@matt Make the house kids happy and add sequenceable "sidechain" compressor triggering to NS2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Ob-pp3jAc#t=232

platinumaudiolab

Hi guys. To answer your questions, the samples are from a Tr-808 and were recorded as cleanly as possible for the basic kit. What sets this kit apart is the pre-mapped, instant load tuned 808 bass sounds, mapped across multiple keyboard octaves. The sounds are labeled but you don't need to map them yourself either in Eden or any ordinary DAW sampler. There are many variants of the tuned 808 in this set with many featuring unique post-processing. So you get the best of both worlds.

Personally, I found it frustrating getting useable, pre-mapped tuned 808 bass so it started from a labor of necessity. As much as the space is flooded with 808, I really could not find just what I was looking for.

Also, the samples were analog and digitally pitch-shifted again to get the best useable results. Most people don't realize that the original 808 did not have native pitch shifting so sampling is the only way to get a proper tuned effect. Hope that clarifies.

PS it comes with a manual that explains the techniques used as well as recommendations / tutorials for getting the best results.

Cpu Red

Cool, I think I'll go pick up a set. Thanks for answering. I did know about the original 808's tuning and decay, that's why I typed modified hehe. Here is a cool link to a bunch of mods someone did to their 808 if anyone is interested. It's pretty cool.

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/tr-808/

syrupcore

Funny, I've only ever lived through 808 emulations—didn't realize you couldn't tune the original. Thanks for clarifying.