Recent comments

• NanoStudio 1.0 has been submitted to Apple   8 years 10 weeks ago

Congratulations... I'm very much looking forward to release!

Hooray! I'll be buying this the second it's approved.

Great news...will be bought by me on the first day too...

thanks for keeping us up to date!

Good news! £8.99 is a very decent discount price, i'll defo be grabbing it straight away. Lets hope Apple don't twiddle their thumbs too long over this.

Cheers on the release! Can't wait to grab it from the store. Hope it gets a quick approval.

• One thing I'd love to see   8 years 11 weeks ago

Yes I've been thinking that some sort of arpeggiation/scale/auto rhythm thing would be good in future. It's a great way to produce ideas and it's particularly suited to a smaller screen.

I wanted to do something for version 1.0 but decided I didn't really have the time to think it through carefully and do it justice.

PS I'd like to have a go at Doppler Pad - it looks like loads of fun. I haven't had much time lately to try out other apps.

• One thing I'd love to see   8 years 11 weeks ago

That would be nice. ;-)

• What's the max length of the sequencer?   8 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks for the clarification, looking forward to using your app.

A part/pattern can be up to the length of the song (500 bars).

A more real limitation though is the maximum number of events a part/pattern can hold, which is currently 500 for reasons of efficiency.

Generally this isn't a problem when recording, because the sequencer will automatically start the next part if the current one is full. It's also easy to split a part into two in the song editor.

• Oh man, can't wait.   8 years 11 weeks ago

Actually I like Synthstation, I compare it to the current state of iphone synths. Of course, by uploading all these preview materials, nanostudio seems to easily surpass synthstation. But until it's released, Synthstation is one of the most, if not the most, versatile synthesizer app out now. It does have a well adjustable polyphonic synthesizer (6 Voices) plus two monophonic Synths, a drum synth, a pattern based sequencer for drums and a piano roll für the synths. Which other iphone app has that many synth features combined?
    Yeah, the interface is clumsy, the effects meager (actually you can use only one effect simlutaneously - and no reverb). From what I can tell Nanostudio will be better than other synth (and iphone DAW) in almost every aspect, but until its release SynthStation is.

• Nanostudio + support for Akai Synthstation25 hardware controller?   8 years 11 weeks ago

As working in a music instrument store, the acutal state for this controller that nobody knows when it will be releases, but it is supposed to be in this late summer.

How long can patterns be then?

The sequencer's piano roll based, a bit like Cubase. There are six tracks and a maximum song length of 500 bars. Each track contains parts, and each part contains events (note or controller). You can record the events in real time or draw them on a grid.

Parts are unique, but with a couple of taps you can turn a part into a 'pattern'. That pattern can then be used anywhere in the song - if you change a pattern in one place then all the other copies will change automatically.

With patterns you can also set a 'repeat length'. When a pattern is lengthened in the sequencer, it will then automatically repeat. This is great for repeating loops such as drums and bass lines.

Hope that answers your question!

• Midi export possible?   8 years 11 weeks ago

This is it for pro use:
    MIDI export (along with audio export - both finished audio project as WAV and separate samples used as separate WAV's).
    Creative ideas / sketchpad can then easily be polished further on a computer.

and further down the line reimport of the same objects via WIFI, but then we are playing Ping-Pong and would probably need a new application on a computer, or maybe some of the established players, Sonar, Logic, Steinberg could agree on a common format for combined export/import of midi and audio ?

• project sequence?   8 years 11 weeks ago

Changing synth presets for a part will get 2/3 of what I want (since that covers 2/3 of the tracks) and will be easier to work with. It would be great to find a way to eventually use different samples in different parts of a project. That would cover the rest of it. If there is enough memory available to load the samples it would be great to be able to use it someday...

• Okay. The question we've all been afraid to ask. Has it been submitted to Apple yet?   8 years 11 weeks ago

Well let's hope Apple doesn't take too long to review the app. As I understood the mac and PC versions are being released on the day apple approves the software. Though, it'd be nice to use the Desktop-software before apple releases the iphone version. To reduce the waiting pain. I already had to buy the inferior akai synthstation to have something to fiddle with in the meantime :-).

PS: I love the Timechild episode of southpark where cartman desperately waits for the wii to come out and decides to freeze himself, accidently waking up a couple of thousand years later to become - Timechild.

• project sequence?   8 years 11 weeks ago

I thought about this myself but the main obstacle would be having everything (samples etc.) streamed into memory by the time it's needed without interrupting play. Worst case, you'd need both the old and the new song in memory at the same time which would double the memory requirements.

In the sequencer you can set any part to play using a particular preset so it is at least possible to change synth sounds within the same song.

• So does this mean that there is going to be a Mac OSX version of nanostudio?   8 years 11 weeks ago

Sounds like we're on the same page then. This is really exciting! I can't wait to get my hands on NanoStudio!

• Nanostudio + support for Akai Synthstation25 hardware controller?   8 years 11 weeks ago

It looks to me like the surface of the phone is easily accessible when docked so I would have thought that using screens such as the sequencer would be much the same as when the phone's undocked.

To me, it brings together a two octave velocity sensitive keyboard with a pitch and mod wheel which makes the iPhone + SynthStation combo much better for performing music than an iPad. The iPad would win on editing music though due to the extra screen size.

Not sure about the USB connection kit - USB's a tricky beast and although all the hardware connections may look like they're there, the software driver can be an entirely different affair. Has anyone done this yet?

personally I don't understand this akai controller, how are you ever supposed to edit screens when it's 'docked'? there are no knobs or sliders anyway so i wonder how useful it will be. But what's the deal with USB keyboards and controllers and the camera connection kit? is there any chance of them being supported moving forward? i'd love to be able to stick one of those little akai lpd8's or whatever in my bag and control the app from there. more portable and can use with home studio too. your thoughts?

• So does this mean that there is going to be a Mac OSX version of nanostudio?   8 years 11 weeks ago

That's the way I see it too - I'd like to be able to sketch down musical ideas and take them to a pretty acceptable standard whilst on the move, and then bring in the big guns for the final push.

Regardless of how good any mobile app is, it's currently no replacement for top quality effects and the ability to do swift and intricate editing work with a nice large screen and a mouse.

• Okay. The question we've all been afraid to ask. Has it been submitted to Apple yet?   8 years 11 weeks ago

I'm definitely looking to submit NanoStudio to Apple on the 15th of July. After that it's up to Apple (assuming I've done my bit properly) and reports of approval times can vary from days to weeks. NanoStudio will rate among the larger apps but let's hope it's days.

If it's any consolation, take your impatience, multiply it by 1000, and that's mine!

I'd love to support this controller. I will definitely be contacting Akai, and would really hope to be able to support it in a future update.

• So does this mean that there is going to be a Mac OSX version of nanostudio?   8 years 12 weeks ago

hahahahaha ... 'enough's enough' - don't say that! - well, whatever happens i think you'll have the most advanced mobile DAW thus far, even if one still needs to revert back to the studio. For me the dream is only to have to go back to add professional reverb, compression and effects and so forth. If i can write 80 percent of a track with sonically acceptable levels i'll be happy :)

• Okay. The question we've all been afraid to ask. Has it been submitted to Apple yet?   8 years 12 weeks ago

Any news on this yet? Really still hoping this hits mid July, which is only 10 days away :)