Recent comments

• NanoStudio 1.0 has been submitted to Apple   7 years 44 weeks ago

From what I've seen tons of apps submitted recently have been waiting for a while. Perhaps because so many apps are still being submitted with iOS4 updates?

Still 'waiting for review' for almost a whole week now - it's not gonna happen I reckon.

its 20 - 7 - 2010 andnothing at i-tunes

• Is anyone else...   7 years 44 weeks ago

I just posted on Computer Music's facebook page to spread the word and send emails!

I put a request in also..

Ok. I emailed Steve and gave him some kind words regarding Apple, the iPhone 4 the great job he does doing the keynotes and planting a small seed there about a great little app I know that would be perfect to be featured in one of there iPhone commercials where they several apps... Like the ones we see on TV. Let hope my "Inception" move work. I did inform him that I'm just a customer and not the creator of the app looking for publicity. I even game him my real name. The initials at least. Stating the once "approved" he should check it out. I think he'll like it....
    Let see if he bites...
    T.Lacy

OK, put my request in, to apple, asked them to please approve it ASAP, and told them a lot of people are anxiously awaiting to purchase the app. Now if everyone does this, maybe it will hurry the process a long a bit.

Guess I need to fess up to said behaviour. This is gonna be one very popular program methinks

ahhh got it, thanks

Do a search in app store for it and when it returns 'no results'..click on 'request anything you can't find' and fill in form...cheers.

Which email did you send a request to? I'm in...

OK Guilty as charged, I been on here refreshing at least 3 times today.... :P

Request sent from me too...let's shake them up to get this app moving...lol..

They might be stalling to let the AKAI product have some more air time before getting owned :) hee-hee, I'm just kidding, sure all apps have their pro's and con's, nothing like a bit of healthy competition.

I just sent them a request through the itunes store....for what good THAT does!!!

• synth as sampler   7 years 44 weeks ago

Forgot to mention ...

The interpolation method used for samples played on the synths is currently a bit cheap and nasty. When played at their original speed they're perfect but certain samples can sound noisy when pitched (samples need some high frequencies to mask the noise).

In hindsight I reckon I probably went too far with the CPU saving, and at some point in the future I'll definitely improve the interpolation algorithm. In the meantime, a touch of low pass filtering generally improves the situation a lot.

I'd do it myself only something tells me that I should maintain a professional working relationship.

Would it help if we emailed Apple and told them to get off their arses!?!!! :)

Happy to wait as long as it takes! Fingers crossed it passes through soon..

Meanwhile if we miss Tuesday, how about another quick video or mp3, or the pdf :)

• Swing Amount   7 years 44 weeks ago

You can set a swing value for the realtime record quantize - is this what you mean?

• Can you automate synth patch changes in sequencer?   7 years 44 weeks ago

Yes, each track of the song contains parts. You can tell each part which synth preset it should use.

For automation, each synth has five controller values which can be recorded/edited (in addition to pitchbend). These are Pad1 X/Y, Pad2 X/Y and a control knob. You can use the patchbay to connect these controllers to pretty well any synth parameter - some more exotic examples would be chorus rate, filter attack, sample loop length and LFO rate.

• Any plans for ipad?   7 years 44 weeks ago

Universal app - I definitely prefer the idea of making NanoStudio a universal app. I certainly don't want to charge iPhone users a second time just so they can also use it on their iPad. The problem I've got is that I need to fund the development of the iPad version, but I don't want to do this by raising the price of the universal app because iPhone-only users will end up paying in part for the iPad users. So I think that the suggestion of maybe charging for some extra features (which would only be available on the iPad) is the right way to do it.

Performance - Yes the iPad's underpowered compared to desktops and laptops. I haven't bought a new netbook for a long time, but if you say that the iPad's underpowered compared to some of those too then I believe you. That said, it is possible to do quite a lot with the ARM processor as long as the main routines are handcoded using the NEON instruction set (as is the case with NanoStudio). Also, hard disk streaming is probably helped by the fact that there is no hard disk (ie. it uses flash memory). I've never performance tested it because I haven't had the need, but I suspect that reads could be comparable with a hard disk (could be wrong here!).

The conclusion for me is that I can see the iPad being very useful musically but 'proper' DAWs will always have their place.

• synth as sampler   7 years 44 weeks ago

Loading samples shouldn't be difficult to add into an existing synth in most cases. One of the bigger barriers seems to be getting samples into the app (which is the main purpose of NanoSync).

Up until recently this was only possible via WiFi but recently Apple have opened up the possibility of USB transfer. I'd like to investigate this in future because I consider NanoSync to be the weakest point of the app. Not only do users have to install it (which is a bit annoying) but wireless transfer is often a source of unreliability and in some peoples' cases (due to certain router hardware, setups etc.) it may not work for them at all. I'm fully expecting a few complaints on the forums.

Unfortuntely the USB transfer is also limited (it only allows files to be uploaded to a home directory) so it would be necessary to write code which zips up a set of files or directores, uploads them and then unzips them into the right place on the phone. I'm hoping that Apple will extend this feature before I start to look at it.

I've been away for a few days but I've been checking the app's status on the Apple website. It's still sitting at 'waiting for review' status so unfortunately it seems that Apple haven't started looking at it yet. Once they do start looking at it, I've no idea how long the review process will take.

The only other info I can give you is Apple's current stat which says that 85% of submissions have been reviewed within the last 7 days.

Personally I can't see Tuesday looking very likely at the moment :(

Yes, but a bright future awaits us!