Recent comments

• Loading Samples, TRG Banks   7 years 44 weeks ago

Ah figured it out. I failed to utilize the Edit button to load a sample. I see them now! My bad. BTW - I'll echo what's already been noted: you've totally raised the bar with NanoStudio. This truly takes the mobile music-making experience to a whole new level. Very impressed.

• wow wow WOW!   7 years 44 weeks ago

Another great feature I forgot to mention: the CPU Usage meter and the RAM sample usage meters. Perfect for knowing when you're pushing the iDevice chip too hard!

• Rotary Knobs (Specifically Pan) Setting to 0   7 years 44 weeks ago

OMG blip the patch bay (loads of fun to be had in there) thanks again...

• Does nanostudio work with OS 3.13?   7 years 44 weeks ago

I made it point to capitalize the word TOUCH in Ipod Touch.
    I think this is the problem. The Iphone and the Ipod Touch are a little different.
    I have seen this issue before on other apps and usually because compatibility is not enabled for 3.1.3. OS Ipod TOUCH.

I hope this helps. And, please hurry and fix this because im sure that all of us are extremely excited to get started on making music! :)
    I showed a few friends your video and they went nuts! ....well until they saw that it wouldnt work on my machine. Then cheers turned to jeers.

• ** nanostudio songs **   7 years 44 weeks ago

Ah nice! That'd be great. I'm not entirely sure how soundcloud works, but do you think it'd be possible to have some sort of Nano Studio Users group? Where anyone can post their song, then possibly have a page on the main site that contains a list of all the community's songs. Just an idea, but I think it'd be cool.

And along with you, I hope a lot more users start posting their creations soon!

• Autosave removed Eden settings?   7 years 44 weeks ago

I think what I've got in mind will come back from the 'pre phone call' state correctly - ie. with the preset as you had it, but not yet written to the bank.

Will also try to look at iOS 4 background tasking at some point. I almost had it working for this release, but I had to change a load of code that I already knew was fully tested and decided in the end not to go there.

Excellent! You've no idea how good it is to hear other people doing stuff with the code I've been working on for the last 15 months!

For sharing wavs and mp3's I can't recommend SoundCloud too highly - their interface is great and you can add comments to any part of a tune's timeline.

Will be looking into how to embed SoundCloud players into forum posts at some point in the future.

Double tap to center a control?

Stupid phone app always messing up my iPhone..... Oh wait.

I like the edit buffer idea too, my only real issue with the way it is now is that it's not truly coming back from a background state correctly, which is the big draw of iOS4. I think that solves the main issue.

Quick little song I made. Just going to say it's reaally mellow, downtempo, etc. Just the kinda mood I'm in. Hope you guys like.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yfnjzz0jfgyn5p8

• Autobeat   7 years 44 weeks ago

It's like the MPC Note Repeat feature.

• Wishlists   7 years 44 weeks ago

No Hurry here. Take your time with the update. With the polish and the well thought out UI, it seems you've delivered a version 3 app the first go round.

great news on audio copy/paste.

For me the scrollable keyboard would be nice to just line up the keys in a convenient position for whatever phrase I'm ready to lay down. One option might be a simple scroll lock/unlock next to the eden navigation arrows. Another option would be an invisible left and right swipe spot in the top transport bar (lockable in settings?) I don't know. I can understand your desire to keep the UI as clean as possible. The dual layer keyboard does help for phrases in different keys already.

Yes, the sampler I was thinking of would be a multisample player, however it's already so much fun wreaking havoc on samples within eden.

Thanks for the pan info. I knew it had to be there somewhere. Thanks again for a wonderful app and congratulations on it's undoubtable success.

I think all the serious apps seem to do both Intua and Sonoma formats so I gather I'll do the same.

Great to hear that audio copy/paste is in the pipeline. Superb app anyway and so much depth to experiment with. As a songwriter I too want to be able to sing along to the grooves I've created, but audio copy will be fine for this if I absolutely have to do the warbling into the iphone by letting me paste mixes into MultiTrack. Which pasteboard version are you looking at?

No rush - enjoy the kudos for such a fine piece of work for the moment!

Blip Interactive :
    "A centre detent for snapping would also work, as long as people then don't get annoyed that it's difficult to make small changes away from the centre position"

As long as it works on a small touch screen it sounds like a good idea to me. Alot of music applications/plugins etc does that so really don´t think anyone would get annoyed by that.

• NanoSync   7 years 44 weeks ago

Been having think no.2 - if the suggestions above fail, there is a more scientific way of find out what's going on.

1. Open a DOS command box
    2. Change directory to where you put the installer
    3. Run the installer by typing this : NanoSync-1.0-Setup.msi /l!vx* nanosync-log.txt

That will log everything to a file called nanosync-log.txt (should be in the same directory as the installer). If the install works then the log file will be large but in your case it should be small enough to email to contact@blipinteractive.co.uk

I really appreciate your help in finding out what's happening - if we solve these problems in the early days then hopefully we can make it a better experience for future users.

• Finally! A possible worthy heir to Bhajis   7 years 44 weeks ago

Interesting to hear you've never used Bhajis. The interface reminded me of it so much that was one of the big things that drew me to it. I rather doubt Gillet will give you a hard time over such, if anything he'll be pleased that people will stop pestering him to develop an iPhone port.

The others are correct there has been some UI improvements. Bhajis was all about precision stylus movements, which is impossible with a capacitive touchscreen. You've managed to have bigger buttons and used multi touch well in order to avoid sacrificing complexity.

I'm sure that before too long I shall be praising it on its own merits, but for now, given how fond I was of Bhajis, the comparisons are meant to be complimentary.

No that's fine - it's all the nit picking detail which combines to make a whole greater than the sum of its parts :)

Double tap could be good - as long as it's not accidentally triggered.

A centre detent for snapping would also work, as long as people then don't get annoyed that it's difficult to make small changes away from the centre position (although I think with the right response curve this would be OK).

• Tutorials Coming?   7 years 44 weeks ago

If you ever need help with anything of that sort, I'd be happy to pitch in. Its the tutorial/community learning aspect that will really make this app closer to a desktop DAW...

• Love it!   7 years 44 weeks ago

I always thought it was funny how getting a new portable piece of kit always made me want to go on a trip of some sort...

Yea having a bit trouble as the first poster (panning). When I lift my finger it´ll jump 0.1-0.2 left/right (more than 0.01-02). A "snap to" function would be nice. Double click on a knob to reset it to 0, or a function to manual input the numbers?

Edit: Man i really feel i'm nitpicking om things here...But that´s what you get when you make a great app like Nano. ;)

There isn't really any existing indication of when a preset is modified, right? Maybe just a little "dirty" marker in the preset LED. I like the idea of a state buffer that gets maintained during app switching, however you go about doing it. Meantime, those of us using the iPod Touch don't have to worry so much because we won't be interrupted by that nasty Phone app. :)

• NanoStudio on iPad   7 years 44 weeks ago

"I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to do a universal app, with a small upgrade charge for some iPad specific features to help cover the extra months' work."

Should have waited one month longer... ;)

Blip Interactive:
    "Sampler - One thing I'd thought of was a multisample player which would be much better for instruments such as piano and strings."

Hi BlipInterative! Amazing app, really love it (5 stars from me on this one!). Yes! If possible, a multisampler unit (or 2) with dedicated tracks in the sequencer would be great. I.E a multi sampled cello c2, g2, c3 etc loaded into a sampler unit and being able to map those 3 samples over a keyboard interface?

• Tutorials Coming?   7 years 44 weeks ago

Yes ... those would be perfect!