Recent comments

• NanoStudio public support ideas   8 years 12 weeks ago

I have been contacted by a well known record store who might be interested in doing some joint NanoStudio 'workshops'. I won't say any more because I haven't got back to them properly yet.

In principle it's a totally wicked idea, I just want to make sure that I don't end up performing in front of a load of people (I haven't done that since my teenage pub band days). Depending on the format, it could be a really good laugh. I'll keep you posted if there's something definite.

• Wishlists   8 years 12 weeks ago

I've normally used the release in 'hold' mode, not 'trigger' mode. In 'trigger' it'll start the release when the sample's ended (which as you say, since it's ended it won't do anything), but with 'hold' it'll start the release when the pad's released.

I wonder if the release knob should swap to controlling the decay parameter when in trigger mode? That might give the most possibilities ...

• User created Demo songs in future updates   8 years 12 weeks ago

Yes I'd definitely to put some of the best user demos in a future release.

I was thinking of getting the project import/export out of the way first since it'll open up the possibility of reliably transferring songs to and fro.

For a demo to be included, it would have to use copyright-free samples of course.

• Nanosync and IPhone   8 years 12 weeks ago

OK. So has anyone tried the 10.4 NanoSync yet? Fingers crossed it works ...

• Please add midi in...   8 years 12 weeks ago

Its on the list! (but low down unfortunately)

• Ipad   8 years 12 weeks ago

I started off at 99%, then this lot "negotiated" me up to 100.

Will check out the Computer Music page - I also think that they were going to make it recommendation of the month in the new issue, which is just out!

No worries....just what's known as 'creative constraints'! I'll let you know what I manage to do with what you provide; should be fun! Can sort Wi-Fi etc for initial upload of files and will update my installation live using the recorder facility! Thanks for all you work :) Please keep idea of loading files direct to iphone on your list for the future tho. Ta.

Yeah fair enough...Keeping that UI clean and non-fiddly is top priority...That's why everyone likes it.

OK, how about this...What I have found is that 'release' (as it's currently implemented in TRG16) doesn't do much, if anything, in terms of most drum sounds. I would say that decay would be much more handy for tightening up and shortening sounds. What do you reckon?

• Ipad   8 years 12 weeks ago

Hi,

Just about to purchase this app for my ipad. Glad to see you say you won't change your mind, but you do say 99% certain further up this thread! Anyway, I'm going to purchase now and will very much look forward to the ipad / universal version. As far as I can see, there is nothing so comprehensive for making music on the i devices and I am really looking forward to using this on holiday next week. I saw the video as it was posted on facebook by Computer Music.

Cheers.

The code uses a full ADSR internally but there was no room for the DS knobs!

Oops thought of another: Proper envelope for TRG16 pads. Full ADSR. Thought of it after adding long 808 bass drum.

Hi. Feature suggest #2: Re-assign and/or cut/copy/paste for TRG16 pads. Cheers.

• Workflow Tip: Capturing inspiration quickly, then working out the details without losing your original idea   8 years 12 weeks ago

cool idea!.. from reading it ,there is a lot to do, but i imagine in practice (and with practice) it could be done pretty quickly.

• ** nanostudio songs **   8 years 12 weeks ago

hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the plays! each of my tracks have about 26 plays. i would appreciate some feedback though right here on this forum if you guys could. since im the only one making hip hop id like to here your guys critiques. let me know what you think.

the track focus is a bit of a loop but i was going to try and rap over it someday.

One of the biggest problems with extending the functions of the pads is how to record and edit their events in the sequencer. They're recorded just like typical MIDI drum pad events - a note value (ie. the pad number) and a velocity. So it's difficult to also store/edit a variable pitch per note because the note number is used to determine the pad, not the pitch.

Extra banks are pretty easy, because they'd just use the next 16 notes.

The polyphony of the TRG-16 is 16 voices, but you can run into this if you've got lots of long decay samples (such as a load of busy ride cymbals). Currently all of these choices are a 'one value fits all' for all ranges of hardware, but stuff like this could be optional because iPads and iPhone 4's aren't taxed much.

I know what you mean about inspiration - sometimes less is more. 4 synths, 16 samples - keeps you a lot more focused than a million VST plugins and unlimited tracks.

time stretch in TRG is good idea, not necessary to be realtime (to save cpu).. it will be also ok when it will be offline process - you open sample editor, select new sample length, click apply, new samle is rendered and stored to pad (you can seled to which pad) ... or better, new rendered timestretched version of sample is stored as new "layer" to same pad (and source layer is muted by default)... this reminds me another very useable enhancemet - possibility to layer more samples over one pad, and set at least volume, pan, attack, decay & pitch individually for each one - this will be really HUGE stuff for TRG ... i think, it can be done the way that it will not take much cpu resources - you can with every layer change pre-render mixdown of all layers and then in realtime play only this pre-rendered mixdown not realtime mix all layers of pad ... (i mean internally - i'm coder too so when i'm thinking about some feature i'm always also thinking how it can be done to save resources hehe :-)))

btw. yesterday in new track on which i'm working i reached maximum allowed voices limit in TRG :-) (i know, i can resample, but for some cases it isn't so comfort:) it will be big problem to set maximum polyphone for trg not hard limited but limit maximum number of voices dynamically, based on CPU load ? :) 8 voices for eden is OK imho, but 8 voices for TRG is not so much .. or put at least 16 plz :-)

btw.2. i can't believe so much insiration in such small box :-)) i had last few months problem with inspiration, dust was falling over my hw synths, but now i'm again full of ideas, thanks to your great app :-)

Glad you're enjoying it!

Never having been an MPC user, does '16 pitch' really just mean the same sample on all 16 pads, but pitched differently? Wouldn't this use up all the pads when this could be done with an Eden synth instead? Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

By beat matching do you mean time sretching? Had a few requests for time stretching but I keep wondering if the ReCycle way of doing things might be better for the phone, particularly CPU wise. What would be your opinion on that?

KUDOS on a fantastic app! Just brilliant!

Top of my wishlist would be:
    +++ sample file place recall: in other words, when you are building a kit and you are going back to a large folder of samples, it remembers where you left off. (similar to Reason sample browsing)

+++ more sample banks for TRG-16 might be good or perhaps an additional TRG? By the way, LOVE the note repeat feature! It would be great if you could also add a 16 pitch for the pads aka mpc. I'm really impressed with the feel and groove of the NS sequencer. Tight!

++ Chopping of samples/loops to pads: aka mpc would be the business--!! Legendary awesomeness would be the ability to access mp3s on the ipod and grab loops via wave editor.

+ speaking of loops, I may be getting ahead of what's currently possible on iOS but some kind of bpm matching would be cool. Although if the loop can be chopped to pads or keyboard, might not be necessary since one could play as desired.

+ easier access to tempo change might be nice: like in the top left corner menu. Perhaps under the quantize/undo area? But no big deal...

Anyhow, once again--fantastic job and thank you for what will be tons of fun on the run!!! :-)

• The forum is now searchable   8 years 12 weeks ago
    +1

+1

• Audio Copy/Paste (ACP)   8 years 12 weeks ago

Bottom line: Yes.

Here's the full skinny on Sonoma MAPI and ACP: http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/partners/

Here's the full skinny on Intua's format: http://code.google.com/p/intua-audio-sharing/

• Possible to monitor nanostudio sequence while recording?   8 years 12 weeks ago

That's my hope - I want to dump as much info and support as I can this week so the forum can start looking after itself a little more from that point on. I'll still delve in a couple of times a day, but I'll have to schedule it a little more.

10.4 is good to go!

Still Intel only at the moment - PowerPC's going to take a fair amount of work it seems, but it might still be possible at the point I add support for 24 bit wavs.

There's also a 'super user' mode for access to all your files. Full details here:

http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/168

Let me know if it works for you!

• Is Tiger supported?   8 years 12 weeks ago

10.4 is good to go!

Still Intel only at the moment - PowerPC's going to take a fair amount of work it seems, but it might still be possible at the point I add support for 24 bit wavs.

There's also a 'super user' mode for access to all your files. Full details here:

http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/168

Let me know if it works for you!

• Possible to monitor nanostudio sequence while recording?   8 years 12 weeks ago

Matt I'm sure some of the more advanced user would be willing to help out the support questions while you are working with the update :-)

• Audio Copy/Paste (ACP)   8 years 12 weeks ago

So bottom line is - the Sonoma system is the one to go for from a user's point of view, and it will automatically deal with Intua formats for me?