Recent comments

• Finally! A possible worthy heir to Bhajis   7 years 31 weeks ago

People keep mentioning Bhajis Loops and I feel ashamed I've never used it :(

There is plenty more CPU left (particularly 3GS and later) so more instruments are possible as long as the UI stays clean and simple.

iPhone 4 - Apple kept bringing out products before I could finish this app. Will look at it as the early part of the iPad dev. I'm thinking get one iPhone update out of the way (with more import/export and copy/paste functions) and then look at the iPad/iPhone 4.

• ** nanostudio songs **   7 years 31 weeks ago

That was quick!

• Rotary Knobs (Specifically Pan) Setting to 0   7 years 31 weeks ago

ok, it was for a kick drum, I didn't change any other settings besides volume, so the reset button worked for that pad. But for pan especially it would be nice to have a snap to center sort of thing.

Thanks,

-Distraub

• Autobeat   7 years 31 weeks ago

Ahhhh..... it's the "Hold Down" thing that I was missing. The "help" section isn't clear on it.

Thanks for the tip.

• Autosave removed Eden settings?   7 years 31 weeks ago

Yeah that is a bit crap. I'll definitely look at how this can be improved for the first update. In the meantime I'll have to ask you to write the preset (generally to the project bank) as soon you've got something you like. Hardware synths don't take phone calls after all :)

• Kudos   7 years 31 weeks ago

Glad you like! Audio copy/paste will be in the first update. Can't predict when that'll be until thing settle down a bit at the moment.

• Manual errors   7 years 31 weeks ago

Cheers. Too many coffees and late nights spent on that bitch for the odd thing to slip through, will make a note!

• NanoStudio on iPad   7 years 31 weeks ago

As the last post - iPad didn't exist when NanoStudio started 15 months ago and I wasn't even sure how successful it would be. Limited resources means that I had to stay focussed - if I hadn't, NanoStudio wouldn't be around yet on any platform!

I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to do a universal app, with a small upgrade charge for some iPad specific features to help cover the extra months' work.

• Rotary Knobs (Specifically Pan) Setting to 0   7 years 31 weeks ago

No there's no shortcut for setting centre zero knobs to exact zero. I've never needed to be that accurate!

• Wishlists   7 years 31 weeks ago

960x640 resolution for iPhone 4 and the ability to instance instruments would be awesome. Heck, I'd even stack 2 TRGs in some cases to load more sounds from my Konkrete samples >.>

• Autobeat   7 years 31 weeks ago

Yep it's pretty simple. Choose an interval (eg 1/16ths) and then hold down a pad. The pad will now be played as if you're tapping it in 1/16ths rather than holding it down continuously. Good for laying down hi- hats quickly etc.

Autobeat only triggers when the autobeat page is visible.

you know, you're right, I think this IS a worthy heir to the mighty Bhajis Loops. The sequencer is nice and easy to work with, it handles samples in a nice way, and 4 built-in synths is nice. The only thing I'd like to see in a (ahem) nano-sized mobile studio would be something like Xewton's instancing of instrument plugins, but for all I know more than 4 Edens might overwhelm our poor devices. **edit** wait, there's a cup meter. time to abuse it.

NanoStudio wipes the floor with SynthStation. Sure, SS has 3 triple osc synths, but I like programming the Edens MUCH better (and the osc waveform choices are superior, as well as samples), and TRG gives Beatmaker a run for it's money.

My only wish in the short-term is graphics with the 960x640 display in mind ;)

• nanostudio windows cannot connect to wifi with my ipodtouch but nano sync its ok with my ipodtouch.   7 years 31 weeks ago

Yes - the Desktop version really exists to demonstrate the capabilities of the phone version. It's difficult to play with a mouse I agree!

• Does nanostudio work with OS 3.13?   7 years 31 weeks ago

An iPhone 3GS with 3.1.3 should be fine. Have you tried rebooting it etc.?

Heh, I was working on a layered up kick drum sound with three Edens last night, got a phone call, and then came back to "BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT!" instead of "OONCE! OONCE! OONCE! OONCE!"

Your hardsynths weren't capable of their OS being interrupted by an incoming phone call, either ;) I suppose I could always decline the call, save, and then call the person back in the meantime, but ideally I would really, really like to be able to check a text message, take a call, check an email, etc, and when I come back to NanoStudio, the synth sounds I've been working so hard on are still there just as I left them.

Is it possible to have it work that way at least with how Apple impliments "multitasking" ( glorified save states...!)

Hehe, beyond your Comprehension.
    The developer already said when he started developing, the ipad didn't even exist and that he'll probably go the ipad way as one of the next steps, while not charging the customer twice, and is likely to offer additional special features for the device that can be bought seperately.

Each preset's tiny (takes up about 400 bytes) but it's not the memory that's the issue, it's more how/where it should be saved in such a way that it doesn't overwrite a preset that you wanted to keep.

The write button is really a confirm, saying 'I'm happy for you to replace the preset held in the bank wth the one in memory'. An autosave scheme would bypass that confirmation, which would run the danger of overwriting a favourite preset at any time.

Another factor is that the default controller positions (eg. XY pads) are also stored in the preset. If it's written without user intervention, these could change which could alter the sound of the preset drastically.

There is an alternative - on a shutdown/startup cycle, restore the modified preset back to 'memory' without actually changing the bank. This solves the problem of putting the synth into the same state as when it was shut down, but still requires to you write the preset at some point when it suits you. I'd prefer this method if anything.

• NanoStudio for Mac and Windows   7 years 31 weeks ago

Sorry to hear you've got problems. What is the message/error that you get?

tnx ;)

Nice vid and song..

• Pattern colors?   7 years 31 weeks ago

Thanks, that makes sense.

agree

• Sync projects back and forth   7 years 31 weeks ago

Excellent, I was thinking the exact same thing :)

My thoughts exactly, Bhajis was a great app, just forced to run on slow hardware (though good for the time). NanoStudio definitely is more fun and powerful IMO, very happy with this app.

"Laid Back part 2"

Nicos Terzis creative music real-time on iphone "Laid Back part 2" (erotic lounge music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOoSrICOHA