Recent comments

• Critical bug!   8 years 8 weeks ago

... but hardware synth are'nt interrupted by phone calls ;-)

I'm not complaining about the preset save thing, just about the fact that you lose your work if you receive a call!

• BUG? Several presets on one track   8 years 8 weeks ago

Hm, ok, i might test it next time. Currently I've "solved" it by moving the note forward a little. It has a soft attack anyway, so it won't get noticed.

• Critical bug!   8 years 8 weeks ago

It's not a bug per se, but working "as designed" for v1.0. And also how many hardware synths work too. (Read the "Newbie Guide" stickied at the top of this forum.) That said, Matt has said here that he is planning to change this behavior and make saving preset changes a little more friendly in a future update.

I could have sworn I've taken a single part, split it into two at some beat marker (without changing anything else), then assigning a different preset to the second part, and everything seemed to work okay. Then again, I might not have been paying close attention. ^.^

• Ipad   8 years 8 weeks ago

Excellent news about the universal version. Absolutely in love with this app already and that can only make it better.

No, seems like it depends on where the whole part ends rather than the events. The next parts first note has to start a tiny bit after the previous part, so I can't put in on the first beat.

• Nanosync and IPhone   8 years 8 weeks ago

Ok, nanosync installs and runs.. It won't connect through wi-fi though.. I made sure that I activated the nanosync server within the app, but to no avail. Perhaps it's a problem with the Sky router? Does anyone know if Sky have firewalls on their router boxes or how to check for one/disable it if it's there? I'm guessing that's probably where the issue is if others are up and running without a hitch..

• iPad folks - Check out the "Electrify" app   8 years 8 weeks ago

I have to think he will add this at some point. It's a no-brainer feature he must know that his users will want.

• Audio Copy/Paste (ACP)   8 years 8 weeks ago

I'll note that Intua-based apps that support stereo tracks (like MultiTrack DAW) recognize a stereo file from the GP just fine. The problem is the Sonoma-based apps that don't do stereo audio tracks (like StudioTrack). For such apps, they can recognize and auto-split a stereo wave into two tracks only if then wave is being pasted in from the Sonoma ACP clipboard. Although they can also see and pasted in from the GP too, they don't recognize the wave file and offer to auto split. Instead, they paste the file into one mono track and I bet they're just pasting either the left or right channel and not doing a true channel merge.

But so far, StudioTrack is a bit of an oddball, and as i've mentioned before, I put up with it's high price and too-Apple-like design approach only because it has a good per-track effects feature and great per-track EQ and output bus EQ. If Harmonic Dog ever adds similar per-track effects and output buss effects to MultiTrack DAW, I'd drop StudioTrack in a heartbeat. But vocal tracks with EQ and compression are too important to me.

On that same thought, however, if you eventually add audio tracks with decent per-track EQ, compression, and reverb send to NanoStudio, (and basic waveform trimming/splitting), you also remove the need to rely on outside "DAW" apps for vocal tracks. I could see keeping MultiTrack DAW around just for some really huge mix that won't fit entirely inside of NanoStudio, but StudioTrack would go the way of the dodo bird.

Are there any note events in the first part whose length (tail) goes all the way to the right edge of the part editor? If so, try ensuring that such note events end a tiny bit before the end of the last bar in the first part. I'm just totally guessing here on the hunch that something in the first part is not "releasing" the first preset by the start of the first note event in the second part.

Another thing perhaps with trying is to convert both parts, or at least the second part, to patterns instead, just for grins? I've wondered whether patterns are pre-cached in any way.

• So does this mean that there is going to be a Mac OSX version of nanostudio?   8 years 8 weeks ago

You have a very excellent straightforward, simple, elegant and professional DAW here. I think you actually should seriously consider a fullscreen midi-in mic/audio in enabled version of this app for Macs n' PC's.

There's something to be said for not competing with the big guns like Cubase/Live/Logic etc. GarageBand's simplicity and success has been a testament to that. I have Record/Reason and Cubase, which I love, but for me it's just so much artistically simpler to fire up GB, dial in the very few sounds and bang out an idea (which usually ends up w/ an export to Record). Now I'm using your amazing app on my iPad (incidentally, it really does operate well on the iPad), and exporting to Record.

You've already got the code... just update the UI and you're there! Charge $19.99 and you'll sell a bazillion of them. Charge $9.99 for purchasers of your IOS version (as a "companion" app or something). If it runs well on netbooks and MacBooks (which it does already), you're exceeding the numbers of devices out there that the IOS runs on by a long shot. Make a bridge between a full desktop version and the IOS one, and keyboard players / people with guitar racks/audio effects will use it, hardcore. It would be so brilliant to be "out there" on my iPad, tapping some ideas on the screen, but with the ability to come home, sync up, and add some more serious parts into the song with a real midi keyboard. Then to be able to take that same song back out on the road on my iPad/iPhone...? Whooaaaa.....

I can only imagine my guitarist's joy in this back-and-forth possibility as well. And another point - it would allow the musician to learn ONE app to use in multiple places. I'm fantastically tech-saavy, but I tire of having to re-learn the interfaces to my tools all the time, because I feel it gets in the way of creativity.

There's currently nothing out there other than Garage Band that falls into this niche in the desktop realm, and if/when you add recording tracks, your app will have given GB some solid competition in my opinion. And in the Windows world...? There's kind of, well, not much it seems in terms of simple and elegant.

• First review of NanoStudio!   8 years 8 weeks ago

Really, this is the best music production app I have found for my phone. I used to play electronic music and have recently been getting back into composing and this is exactly what i need. Two young kids and no set up with my computer, this works great!!

Shame about not being able to use this to compose entire songs. Hopefully the dev will make it possible. Automation would be awesome, too.

• Audio Copy/Paste (ACP)   8 years 8 weeks ago

I'm still worried about how the Intua format will work with regards to correct handling of mono/stereo files though - will research this more before I back myself into a corner! It's not a done deal yet ...

BTW here's a quick and dirty beat loop I cranked out in about 5 minutes. It comprises 6 different samples, one of whose loop points were modified (non-destructively) within the app to remove some trailing delay echoes that were in the original sample. It's a one-bar phrase repeated 4 times in MultiTrack DAW and uploaded to SoundCloud directly from within MultiTrack DAW. (I look forward to seeing a NanoStudio stamp next to some uploaded SoundCloud creations some day--that's a neat trick.)

ElectrifySample.wav by shannong

And finally, how do you record/copy things out for use in other apps or outboard DAWs?

You cannot record an entire long performance and render it to a mixdown WAV. The "record button" is really just an edit lock for all the clips. So "performances" are live only or else you need to record the analog output somehow.

You also can't record any motion automation, so the XY pads are for live performance or analog recording only. At least not in the current version.

Instead, when you use Export or Copy to Clipboard functions, they export/copy whatever 8 track beat is currently configured on the clip matrix. This is *great* for quickly creating a bunch of closely-related samples for use in other apps:

1. Find a combination of clips you like and copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into some other "bridge" app (or use export to "bounce" down to a new sample within the app's own sample library, which you can easily grab later with iTunes file sharing).
    2. Find a different combination of clips you like by tapping them, then copy/export again
    3. If you've set up your entire clip matrix with a full load of sequenced patterns and one-shots, you can quickly bang out many dozens of closely related samples with lots of dynamic and texture variation.

By tricksy games with patterns in NanoStudio, you could cram in all these samples to the Eden tracks in any order or combination you like.

• First review of NanoStudio!   8 years 8 weeks ago

LOL- Was there any doubt that they WOULD like it?? Haha I love the modesty of these guys :D And congrats, you all deserve rave reviews for cranking out something so solid.

• NanoStudio public support ideas   8 years 8 weeks ago

Totally, I hadn't even thought of it but I would buy (and wear) the hell out of a Nano T-shirt!

• ** nanostudio songs **   8 years 8 weeks ago

Another thing: When recording, you will see a flashing red dot to some of the knobs. This means, when you adjust the knob while recording, it records the knob's movement! Amazing :D It's fun to play around with cutoff :-P

There's three output busses in the TRG. Normally all (or most) pads are connected with Bus 1. To add a delay just to certain pads, first click "EDIT" and then the pad. On the top right hand corner, you will see the pad with a round button above it. Click that button and the text to it's right will change ("Bus 1/2/3"), as will the color of the pad. So, once you've connected the pad with bus 2 or 3, click done, then open bus 2 or 3 (the one you connected the pad with), and set the delay there. You're done :-D

• Drag and Drop Folders   8 years 8 weeks ago

Yeah this app is insane- I've literally been playing with it since downloading it this morning. But I did notice the Nano Sync needs some love- It would be nice to be able to just drag and drop a folder full of samples into the Nano Sync window and have the folder, folder name and all of the files sync accordingly. I'm sure these guys have a reason for it not doing so, maybe just so much time focused on making the app the beast that it is, but hopefully in the near future they will be able to figure out a way to get the seamless drag and drop to work.
    Beyond that though, amazing app- This is one of those I'm glad I got when it was $15, I have a feeling once they start making improvements the price may go up.

• Response so far   8 years 8 weeks ago

Yeah !!! New and Noteworthy...US Nice !!!

• Wishlists   8 years 8 weeks ago

You have done such an awesome job with 1.0 that I feel like a spoiled kid asking for more! I'll check in regularly so no worries about subscribe options... although it does help encourage community a bit. Keep up the great work!

Something happened in that track that I like even though I didn't quite intend - I added a delay to the TRG so that the vocals come with a delay, and then noticed (wasn't planned!) that it was also affecting all TRG's from that point onwards in the track. In this particular case, I liked the effect, so I haven't tried to remove it - but I need to work out why exactly that happened so I can control it when I need to. I'm guessing the next 'part' needs to have the delay consciously set back to 0?

That effects (like presets) will basically continue to be applied per track unless specifically told otherwise?

Sure - thanks :)