Recent comments

• Email remainder form for product launch   7 years 18 weeks ago

Well that got me to sign up for the forum! Looking forward to the email announcement. This looks great.

• Is it an actual sequencer   7 years 19 weeks ago

Ok thanx, but please get app to me asap!!!

• more Tracks possible?   7 years 19 weeks ago

Hello Switzerland!

I had more tracks originally but decided to cut them back to make the user interface clean and simple - currently you have the ability to mute tracks whilst still using the keyboard, and I didn't want to lose this ability.

In general I haven't found it a limitation with the keyboard tracks, but I agree it would be easier to arrange the song if the trigger pads had more tracks dedicated to them (currently it has 2 tracks which are enough, but I agree that more are always better).

It's always really difficult to make these decisions when technically they're easy to do, but the UI and ease of use always has to be the number 1 concern with an iPhone application. If lots of people are asking for it though then I'm sure I can find a way.

Just to clear up any confusion, the tracks are all event (MIDI) tracks, not audio tracks. It's possible to resample bars of the song and then assign that sample to a trigger pad (or a synth). The sample is then triggered by an event.

Proper audio tracks would be great, and certainly would be a candidate for possible future work.

• nanostudio built using?   7 years 19 weeks ago

That's even more impressive! It was a sad day when I realised to make the type of iphone music app I really wanted, I'd have to learn opengl. All the best for the final push to launch!

• Is it an actual sequencer   7 years 19 weeks ago

Yes there is a dedicated reverb as one of two global effects sends. The reverb has about 8 different presets.

The sequencer is more along the conventional Cubase piano roll style. I think some users will like this, and some won't - but hopefully more will than won't! You can use the draw tool in conjunction with the quantize to tap grid cells on and off which can be a fast way to enter regular patterns.

Additionally, the trigger pads have an 'autobeat' function. You select your interval (eg. 1/16ths) and then when you hold down a pad it will automatically play 1/16ths for you in realtime. This is useful for both recording and performing.

Samples and final mixes are transferred to/from a PC or Mac over WiFi using a simple bit of software called NanoSync. I know having to install extra software isn't ideal, but that's the way it has to be for various reasons.

Sound Cloud - definitely an interesting idea for future.

• Sampler?   7 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Re sampler: awesome... :)

Now I leave you to it!

• Sampler?   7 years 19 weeks ago

Yes the synths are capable of loading samples. One of the most powerful aspects is that you can create a loop using the synths and pads, and then resample one or more bars of the song and load that sample back into the synth. You can then mash it up using all the filters, LFO, control pads etc. I've been working on a minimal techno demo recently which does just that, and then uses the sequencer automation to take loop on a modulation journey as the tune progresses.

What it won't do is support multisamples, so it's not much good for doing a nice piano (unless you like your piano sounds stretched across 3 octaves of course).

• So does this mean that there is going to be a Mac OSX version of nanostudio?   7 years 19 weeks ago

That capability is in there (I currently use it for development) but won't be enabled day 1 because it needs more work to make it nice to use.

• So does this mean that there is going to be a Mac OSX version of nanostudio?   7 years 19 weeks ago

Will you be able to port tracks over from one platform to the other? !

• nanostudio built using?   7 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks. No, call me crazy but it's all written from the ground up on this project apart from a few parts of the network library. I like knowing what's going on inside rather having to delve into a load of stuff I don't know anything about when something goes wrong.

For audio, it uses the low latency RemoteIO interface with all the inner routines written in VFP assembler (iPhone 2/3G) or NEON assembler (iPhone 3GS). The Windows and Mac versions use straight C++ implementation which are plenty fast enough.

For rendering, I wrote a widget and font rendering library which sits on top of OpenGL. Cocoa's far too slow and memory hungry for this sort of thing and I come from a console games background so that made sense.

I'd say that 80% of this app has been user interface work. I'd love to spend more time on the audio side of things.

• Audio copy/paste?   7 years 19 weeks ago

This is what I'm hoping. NanoStudio is engineered in a modular way and one direction I could take it is as a shell which can contain other instruments and sound generators. Primarily I wanted it to be musically useful and familiar to anyone who's ever used soft synths, but once I've covered the standard bases (trigger pads, key etc.) then there could be room in there for some more wacky and experimental stuff which really uses the unique properties of the touch interface. From my experience, instruments in this class are fun but limited in their usability unless you can couple them up with some more conventional instruments.

I certainly don't want to preclude other great apps though, so the audio copy/paste will be a top priority.

• Looking forward to the release...   7 years 19 weeks ago

Ditto. I just became aware of the app when someone commented about it on a createdigitalmusic.com post. Be sure to give those guys a press release about Nanostudio because I'd love to see them review it.

I think you're right, with a platform as new as the iPhone/iPad we don't always know what we want until we see it implemented. For me Jasuto and Doppler Pad would probably fall into that category. ( ....and definitely Hipstamatic but that's another field entirely!)

What's been missing appears to be the "one ring to rule them all". An application that will act as a central creative hub taking the content of other Apps, which are individually good at what they do, whilst offering enough creative potential of it's own. Beatmaker looked like it was heading down this route. The lack however of any serious automation and particularly resampling with automation, the limitations of it's effects and the lack of any form of built in synths has limited it's appeal.

Looks like Nanostudio might provide a better environment.....

Fantastic. I'm looking forward to it.

There will be a free full version of NanoStudio for both the PC and the Mac as soon as the iPhone version is approved for sale by Apple.

The way I figure it is that a PC/Mac version of NanoStudio will never compete with a proper DAW such as Cubase or Live and it will never compete with the iPhone version because it's not portable. So I might as well give it away free as a promotional thing :)

• Email remainder form for product launch   7 years 19 weeks ago

I'm a bit old skool when it comes to Twitter but you're probably right, I'll dust off my cloth cap and look into it.

I've got about four different ideas for directions in which I could take NanoStudio after launch. For version 1.0 I've given it my best shot in terms of what I think people want, but after that I'm hoping that user feedback will steer future development to a large degree.

Of course, there's always the case where people don't know what they want or what they're missing until they get it :)

i think you should create a twitter account for the announcements and updates. i think thats the easiest and best way to keep people updated.

• Any plans for ipad?   7 years 19 weeks ago

ipad version would be great. it'll be the best music experience on a touch device. i'm dying to see both iphone/ipad versions.

Thanks for the fast response.

The whole iPhone/iPad music platform is clearly evolving at quite a rate with a lot of creativity and cross fertilisation of ideas particularly in terms of features and interfaces. I don't think that most users are expecting the whole package straight away, as long as we know you're onboard with the idea and working on it then I suspect that plenty of those who have invested in Apps that support Audio copy/paste will be willing to sign up, particularly given the feature set that you've already demonstrated -)

• Any plans for ipad?   7 years 19 weeks ago

Hopefully the app will work straight away on iPad in compatibility mode, but I realise this isn't what you're asking. I think a proper iPad version will be inevitable - making music is one of the application areas where I can totally get the point of the iPad.

To do it justice the UI would need a rethink in some areas. It'd be much more useful to have a view where the sequencer's event editor can be seen alongside the keyboard, or a dual instrument view so you can perform on two different instruments at the same time.

I've already started thinking about how I'd do it, I just haven't had the time yet. :)

Cheers! I decided to open up the forum before launch for this reason, so anyone who joins up will get a mail on launch day.

I'll try and figure out how to make RSS feeds work too :)

I really wanted to add copy and paste - but with every cool feature I kept adding I realised that the release date was slipping back week by week and I'd never get it out there. I agree it will be essential to many users so I've decided to compromise on doing it as an update which will occur a couple of weeks after the main launch. This will also give me a chance to fix any issues which might have come up in the meantime.

If miraculously I find myself with a few spare days before launch, it's right at the top of my list!