Recent comments

• Non-Destructive Sample Editing   7 years 16 weeks ago

This is a really good workaround. I've summarized it in the Newbie Guide thread here.

• NanoStudio for Mac and Windows   7 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the lib/tools info. I haven't worked directly with objective-C yet, but have heard from friends how it has "evolved" and required fixes. Much better to keep as much of the infrastructure as possible under your own control. Still a great accomplishment. I'm looking forward to the VST/AU functionality you mentioned elsewhere. I'm definitely looking forward to the import/export features.

• Response so far   7 years 16 weeks ago

it's also worth noting that for iPad users, the app is nearly 100% invisible because the iPad AppStore by default lists only iPad and universal apps.

• TROUBLE WITH LOADING SAMPLES ON IPOD TOUCH   7 years 16 weeks ago

I WOULD GO TO THE TRG PAGE HIT IMPORT FIND MY FOLDER THEN OPEN IT BUT IT WOULD BE EMPTY I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE WAY TO GET THE SAMPLES INTO THE TRG BUT I GUESS NOT TY ANYWAY FOR YOUR RESPONSE AND ONCE AGAIN I LOVE THIS APP

Cheers! I've just been trying to think of any libraries I'm using but actually it's all home brewed. I've been working in the console games industry for a decade so I had some low level bits and pieces but all the UI and Audio Engine code are all new for this project.

I generally work on PC because the change/build/test turnaround time is so much quicker. This basically forces me to keep it all cross platform because obviously the end goal's the iPhone. So the PC and Mac virtually pop out for free (not quite true but close).

I think up to a certain scale of development it's beneficial to home brew as much as possible. On each SDK update it's all the Apple stuff I end up having to fix (including changes to the actual Objective-C language!) - my stuff generally doesn't need touching.

Another case in point:
    - RAM used by Apple WebView for the embedded help = 8MB before it's even loaded a single help page.
    - RAM used by the entire rest of the app before samples are loaded = 10MB!

I live in the US and use BeatMaker, Xewton, and Rebirth. I think NanoStudio will be and SHOULD be a big hit here in the US. But, I don't think people over here know that it exists and how great it is.

I learned about NanoStudio early on by reading posts to a music site. (This led to visiting the NanoStudio site hundreds of times and watching the demo video incessantly: -)

But, to get a big jump in sales in the US, you'll probably need to promote the app (posts, marketing, reviews by various music websites, etc....) I think the slow start in the states is due to our overly saturated market. There are too many apps available to quickly "discover" something, even if it's as incredible as NanoStudio.

Without some "noise" to draw attention to the app, it could get lost in the shuffle. The good news is, with even minor attention drawn to the app, it will take off, I believe. The app is just that good!!

Sweet, glad you solved your problem!

Out of interest, where were you looking the first time when you couldn't see them? Maybe I should improve the help if this is a common problem.

• iPad compatibility!   7 years 16 weeks ago

People like the OP are woefully ignorant. NS is created by one developer, and the 1.0 release is amazing as it is, despite everyone having a wishlist of features (myself included). For the current price of $14.99, the app is a steal.

I have NS installed on both my iPad and iPod touch, with my iPad being the device I use more at this point. Sure, upscaled iPhone apps don't provide the best user experience on the iPad, but Matt has his hands full with fixing any bugs that have popped up since the 1.0 release, as well as adding some features people are asking for. If the app doesn't become universal until the 2nd or 3rd update, that's fine. I also think in-app paid upgrades for things like more tracks, more sample banks, more effects, etc. is a good way to subsidize the cost of making the app universal.

Keep up the excellent work, Matt.

I've just joined in to say, 'Thank you!!!!'
    Also to let you know I live in the States and I'm doing my job as an evangelist of this product to my musical friends! Hahaha :)
    What a pure joy it is to just simply pick up a phone (ipod / ipad for some) and make music away~
    Thanks, again!

God bless.

As many others have articulated, this is an amazing app. The sound quality is the first thing I noticed - it's exceptional. and everything seems to run well so far on my iPhone 3G.

As a software engineer myself, I'm glad to see your multi-platform support. Did you use an existing framework for the UI, etc. to provide cross-platform features? Or is everything homebrewed? Quite an accomplishment.

NEVER MIND THE QUESTION I SAW THE ANS ON ANOTHER POST I WENT TO THE EDIT BUTTON THEN I SAW MY SAMPLES TY ANYWAY IM GLAD I BOUGHT THIS APP IT IS ON FIRE I LOVE IT

@marrickville: I've noticed the same thing about BeatMaker's forum/users. Also, the subforum for user created songs mostly consists of 5 second hip hip beats looped over and over again for 3 minutes.

Not surprisingly, there's a bit of trash talking about NS over there.

• iPad compatibility!   7 years 16 weeks ago

Actually I don't see why some iPad users complain so badly about the ipad app not being available on their device. At least it does run on the ipad (although with double pixel and extralarge knobs). Android users are the ones who should really start crying since the the best mobile music app to date doesn't run on their phone. As far as I can tell nanostudio currently is as much fun - if not more - on the ipad as on the iphone. So there's no reason to cry.
    As for making the app a universal one, designing for the additional screen space is clearly a difficult and time consuming task, needing careful consideration. I have seen many app designers fail at this task. So for all of us it's actually a gain, that Blip decided to stay with the low res iphone version since otherwise we wouldn't be seeing this app come out for quite a while longer. I'm sure the extra time people have to wait for the native ipad app is going to be well regarded by blips sense for detail and perfection.

• Wishlists   7 years 16 weeks ago

Yep I think there's plenty of scope on the bottom half of the Eden pages for some alternative controllers, arpeggiators, that sort of thing. And as you say, these input methods suit the size of the screen very well.

What I can't get straight in my head at the moment is how the control system would work to select between them. It needs to be accessible yet nowhere near the playable area to avoid being hit during some crazed jamming.

I've got a similar problem with any controls to slide the keyboard by fractions of an octave. I tend to leave things like this but keep thinking about them - sometimes the solution comes after enough time, sometimes it doesn't at all.

how about an optional /alternate screen to the synth keyboards, similar to what is found on beebot/morphwiz or thumbjam
    so you can just swipe across the screen and play/record the notes from a constrained choice of notes/scale/chord.
    (nintendo korg ds has a similar screen function too) its a much easier way of inputting notes/jamming in a lot of cases on such a small screen.
    -keep the keyboard as well, just have it as an option,... that'd be awesome ;)

• a couple of things , help needed   7 years 16 weeks ago

re/ the draw notes... i think i may have dragged the drawing tool across the grid creating 4 or 6 events on the same note over the space of a bar or two - not what i actually wanted (i was just trying to draw one long note!) but i thought i'd play it and listen to it , so yes that could have used all the synth voices i guess, especially as the patch may have had a slow release setting.
    Not sure if i did this the second time as well, may have.. was noodling on the bus home from work and was pretty tired!
    Cool i'll try that fix for the glide notes. Grid on/off, haven't noticed that button yet!
    B.t.w- it's a great time killer on the bus,- i have a 1hr trip and it went pretty quickly, playing with nanostudio :)

Gotcha, works brilliantly. It'll do for now until loop points are implemented. Thanks, Matt...

I'm all for multisampling and with loop start and end points so that my samples don't have to loop right at the beginning.

EQ that to would be a nice feature

Dynamics (compressor, gate, limiter with sidechains)

Definitely a panning knob

How about something similar to the E button in cubase which brings up a window with all the effects sends, eq and mixer settings for the selected track.

I love this program I still can't put my ipod down, I've never had to charge it as much :)

'Proper' loop points are definitely needed in future. There's one possible way I can think of to get you some way there:

- Record a pattern to trigger your sample when you want it
    - Start the sequencer playing on a loop
    - Now enter the sample editor with the loop playing
    - You can now delete/trim the sample and you'll hear the results immediately
    - Use undo to go backwards or do a 'save as' at the end to keep it

I use this technique with hits quite a lot, it might extend to loops in some cases (or you'll hear a noisy mess, one of the two :))

Something else that might help a bit when chopping - you can change the timebase in the sample editor to show bars/beats instead of time (it's the button on the top right labelled 'Time').

Shane, congratulations on finding the first 100% repeatable bug. I realise it's a hollow victory :(

Realtime recording of glide notes definitely used to work, but obviously something's happened to it - I suspect as a result of some other work I did before release. Sorry about that! It looks like you're going to have to select all the notes in the pattern editor, turn the grid off, and then extend their length by a tiny amount to workaround the problem. I'll fix it for the next update, that goes without saying.

It also looks like you may be onto something with the 'draw notes' function in the pattern editor too. My suspicion is that somehow it's using up all the synth's voices and then never releasing them. That would account for the keyboard UI working but the synth failing to respond to new notes. If you ever find a reliable way of repeating this then I'd love to know. I'll give it a good hammering at some point to see if I can get it to happen too.

Yeah, I would just like to be able to edit the start and end points of a sample without having to save it because I do a lot of production with loops, 2-4 bars long, so I like to play with the sample until it sounds right and since there's no way to audition it while editing, I'm SOL. Am I making myself clear because I could rephrase. Its just such a habit when I'm making tracks that its hard to explain.

no matter what i do cant get it to play back with gliding/legato between notes..
    even preset 2- 'vintage mono' -has glide when i'm just playing on the keys or recording, but as soon as i play back the recording it steps thru the individual notes.. does this happen to no one else? quantize is definitely off (well the button is)
    Had another issue too.. i was editing a bass track in a split part on track 2 , in the piano roll..deleted a note or two and drew in some notes and then i just lost the sound of the bass, completely, it just went,, the notes were still there and the keys were being played on the synth screen but no sound from the synth at all , even on the other parts on the same track-no sound at all.. (it wasn't muted)
    This happened twice in a row and i each time had to close the app and reload my previous save.. strange
    Anyway i'll have a play around with it some more and let you know if it's still occuring and be interested to see if it happens to others too or if it's just me. cheers!

yeah strange that. I have noticed that the beatmaker user forum is heavily influenced by hip-hop-loving MPC fanboys with little care for nanostudio, self-restraint, introspection or grammar. Not saying that that means anything, but their bravado does make me think that an MPC style software such as beatmaker has more appeal than NS in the american market.

• Sample looping   7 years 16 weeks ago

By 'lose the whole sample' do you mean you've trimmed a sample to get the right loop and then lost the original?

If so, when you exit the sample editor you can give a new filename - this will do a 'save as' and leave the original unmolested.

I might have misunderstood though!

You can save the sample under a different name when you exit the sample editor. The original sample will be unaltered and the pad will start using the new sample you saved. If you want the pad to carry on using the unaltered sample, you will have to load it back up again at the moment.

Is that what you mean?